Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Question regarding my Inteliclor IC 40

1. Back To Top    #1

Question regarding my Inteliclor IC 40

I have an IC 40. I intentionally over sized the chlorinator so that it would last longer and not have to work as hard. In the hot summer I have had to set it at 60% to get proper chlorination. Is this normal?

Current relevant readings- IC Set at 60%

FC- 4.0
    PH-7.5
    CYA- 85
    Outside temp 82
    Water Temp 86- solar heated

Comments/questions?

Thanks and happy 4th!
    18,900 Stonescapes Tahoe Blue xtra black, 8 jet Spa, Pentair inteliflo VS , Pentair FNS 60 DE, Inteliclor40, Pentair 400,000 Mastertemp heater, 3 spillovers powered by a Pentair 1 HP whisperflo pump, The pool Cleaner, 2 Intellibright color changing lights and 400 sq ft. of Heliocol roof mounted solar.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Question regarding my Inteliclor IC 40

A very important bit of information is missing.
    How many hours per day are you running the IC40?
    poolschoolgrad

20x40 free-form IG vinyl, 1hp Hayward superpump, Hayward pro grid DE filter, Raypak heatpump, Goldline Aquarite SWCG, Polaris 280 with booster, and tested using a Taylor K2006.

3. Back To Top    #3

For reference/comparison, my cell is set to 20% and maintains a steady 3.5 FC and is ON just 60 minutes/day. Pump runtime is 10 hours but only 5 hours on a 25 GPM speed which turns on power via a relay to the IntelliChlor Transformer.

5 hours / 20 % = 60 minutes and I have verified this via the Pentair IntelliWand program output.

4. Back To Top    #4

My pump run time is from 9:00 am until 4:30 pm on a low 1800 rpm setting. I do not know what the run time is for the IC. How do I check the clorinator run time?
    18,900 Stonescapes Tahoe Blue xtra black, 8 jet Spa, Pentair inteliflo VS , Pentair FNS 60 DE, Inteliclor40, Pentair 400,000 Mastertemp heater, 3 spillovers powered by a Pentair 1 HP whisperflo pump, The pool Cleaner, 2 Intellibright color changing lights and 400 sq ft. of Heliocol roof mounted solar.

5. Back To Top    #5

Just for comparison, I run my IC40 8 hours a day at 80% to maintain 4.5 ppm FC in a 28.5 K pool. So your setting does not seem unreasonable.
    Carlos
    Pool: 28,000 gallons IG; IC 40 SWG; Pentair 120 gpm cartridge filter; Marble finish; Pentair Wisperflow 1.5 hp; Polaris 360
    Spa: 350 gallon; Bromine
    How to shock your pool

6. Back To Top    #6

I run my IC40 24 hours/day at 10% and it generates between 4-8 ppm FC in my 22,000 gallon pool.
    18 x 36 Inground Gunnite, White Plaster 21K gallon
    18" raised spa, 8' Diameter (620 gallon)
    Triton II Sand filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG
    Pentair Pump, Max-E-Therm 400 BTU
    Lamotte ColorQ PRO 7-Plus test kit
    TFT-100 test kit

7. Back To Top    #7

dykes26, if your pool gets a fair bit of direct sunlight each day your numbers look reasonable. If the pool is heavily shaded I would look into things more.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

Thank you! We get almost no shade. That explains it. Thanks to all that provided input.

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

And if your an SC Alum like me we like our pools clean and ready to party. Your settings sound ok and your other numbers look good. Basically the settings on the IC40 20, 40 60 etc relate to percentage of an hour that the cell is generating Chlorine. Besides your run time your pump speed will also make a difference.

On my 25K pool I run 40% for 12-15 hours a day to get 3-4 ppm at 1800rpm. I vary the settings based upon pool usage, sunlight and clarity of the water and FC levels.

Blake
    25k 20x40 Gunite w/ integrated Spa & Caribbean Blue Plaster, Curved Bluestone Coping, Deck Jets
    Pentair Easy Touch/Wireless, Sta-Rite Intellipro SRVS Pump, Intellibrite Lights, & Pentair IC40 Cell, Sta-Rite 450sf Cartridge filter
    Heated from Central Boiler - Outdoor Wood Furnace & Triangle Tube Max Heat Exchanger
    ColorQ Pro
    TF-100

10. Back To Top    #10

Fight on!