Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Very first time in my life adding Chemicals to a pool!

1. Back To Top    #1

Very first time in my life adding Chemicals to a pool!

I'm feeling a little scared. I don't know what in the heck I am doing, and the warning labels on my chemicals have me scared to make a wrong move. Ok. It says I need PH Down, Calcium Hardness Increaser, Shock Plus, and a Chlorine Tab. I only have the tabs, and shock plus. So, I'm heading to Lowe's to get the rest, and also to get a floater for the chlorine tab. I'm a little confused as to in what order to add these, or do I have to wait to put them in seperately, or can I put them in back to back? Also, how long do we need to wait to swim after using these? The shock plus, says you can swim within 15 minutes, but not sure about the others? Thanks in advance for help.
    Intex 15x42 Metal Frame Above Ground Pool
    3861 Gallons
    Krystal Clear 637R Filter Pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Very first time in my life adding Chemicals to a pool!

Do you have any testing results you can post for us so we can help? Can you tell us about your pool and equipment like mine shows below? Just go into your profile and add a signature line. If its a vinyl liner pool, you don't need any calcium. Do you have any CYA? We suggest using muriatic acid to lower your PH if necessary. Depending on pool size, I'd recommend adding some good old liquid bleach 6% to your shopping list to get started. Have you read pool school first?
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Can you post your test results as well as the size and type of pool you have. Many people here to help and put you at ease.
    14X28 inground Vinyl
    1HP Super II Pump
    200lb Sand filter
    Tri-chlor, bleach shock
    BBB

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by threewide
    ...size and type of pool you have.
    In the poster's signature:

Intex 15x42 Metal Frame Above Ground Pool
    3861 Gallons
    Krystal Clear 637R Filter Pump
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"