Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Should I lower TA?

1. Back To Top    #1

Should I lower TA?

My TF-100 tells me that my TA and FC are a bit high, and my pH is still low. I've cut back on SWCG runtime, and started aerating to raise pH. Should I also lower TA, or is 90 OK?

TF-100 readings:
    • FC - 7.5

• CC - 0.5

• pH - 7.2

• TA - 90

• CH - 80

• CYA - 25 (new pool, still adding stabilizer)

• Salt - 3400

Hydraulically mundane 20x40 rectangular polymer (~30K gal.), IntelliFlo VS+SVRS pump, IntelliChlor IC40 SWCG, Pentair CCP520 cartridge filter, LED light, 2xDeck Jets, SR Smith Turbo Twister slide

2. Back To Top    #2
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Re: Should I lower TA?

I wouldn't bother going to any extra pains to lower TA. If you're aerating, pH will come back up pretty quick, and then when you add acid to lower pH, TA will also be reduced. Unless you're adding a lot of high TA fill water, it should settle down by itself in a couple weeks.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Flower Mound, TX

Re: Should I lower TA?

Also, understand that as long as you are running a SWCG, pH rise will occur moreso than it would if you were running a straight chlorine setup. It's just part of the process.
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT