baquacil to swg

Jul 3, 2011
Hi everyone, this is my first post. Last year I purchased my first pool, a 24' round vinyl. this year I have decided that I have had enough baquagoo and cloudy water and after some reading here that I am going to switch to a chlorine pool. I have already ordered a Compupool cpsc24 and a tf100xl test kit. I have read several posts about switching from baquacil to clorine but I still have several questions. Do i need to get the pool over to chlorine before i add the salt and swg? Will the swg produce chlorine with the baq still in there? Any help would be greatly appreciated

Turn it into a chlorine pool, then add salt, then turn on SWG. The reason being, during the conversion, you may end up backwashing a lot. Or changing sand afterwards. Any salt you've added will be wasted. And who knows what sort of life forms could be created running a current through a cloud of baquacil snot?

Hey there Skipper, and welcome. We love a conversion anytime and will be here to cheer you on. Its a rough ride for a bit, but people here do it all the time and wind up very happy with their new pool.

I would really be interested in knowing how many people buy a pool and only keep it open the first year or the second year etc etc. I used Baquacil because the store owner recommended it, and i'm here to tell you now that he was wrong wrong wrong. Since my conversion, I wish I knew how to show you all the pictures, I haven't had to do hardly anything compared to the Baquagoo. I took a sample to pool store the other day and they told me it was one of the best samples the had seen this year. The only thing I have done since the conversion was to add a couple of cups of muratic acid twice to bring down the ph. If I get bored I will test it on occasion just to have someting to do but I am much more relaxed about it. If I could add one piece of advice it is to add only liquids when possible, I understand that not everyone can puchase liquid chemicals but do it when you can, I think it helps with the fine stuff on the bottom...I call it brown sand. I have a little of it and whenever possible I try to vacume it to waste. All in all I would recommend a salt water generator to everyone...the biggest problem that I ran into had nothing to do with the pool. I went to lowes and purchased the 1 1/2" schedule 40 pipe for the plumbing...when at the store I pointed out to the sales person that the couplings did not fit on the pipes snuggly, and sure enough half of the connections came apart...I went to the local ace hardware store bought new pipes, used Lowes glue and have had no problems since. The salesperson said "you just put extra glue on it and it will be fine". Lowes is the Wal-mart of the building supply business cheap chinese junk. To end on a positive note I will never have a baquacil pool again.

Oops, I didn't read the date on your OP. Glad it worked and it really amazes me how over and over there are bad stories from pool store experiences people have. Agree on the big box store junk too. I avoid them all the time cause' I just hate walking all over for two little Items. Its the ACE for most stuff, and or the irrigation store when I need PVC. More than not though I go to my massive stash and usually get what I need.

I have a friend with a baquacil pool. He has alll the problems mentioned here. Is there a taylor type test kit that will help him monitor his levels?

Almost have him talked in to SWG conversion.

To the best of my knowledge......

There are no tests out there to accurately measure Baquacil besides the strips. This is the number 1 reason my I wanted to switch my in-laws pool over to chlorine. I'm sure there are tests out there for the high end user....but none that I know of to the average Joe.

Just go dump a few gallons of bleach into his pool and walk away. After a week or two fighting the green mess that will follow.....he'll switch. Do him a favor!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.