swg not working

bull

Jul 3, 2011
i have a swg installed 4-week ago and its not making any chlorine.. i was told because of my nitrate is to high (65 ppm) my swg will not work...i have a inground 16x36 3ft by 5.5 deep. about 22,000 gal of water. the place i purchase it said to drain 30in of water add it back, i did and the nitrate reading still was 65 ppm.. any help out there!!!!!!!!!!!! :(

Are nitrates replacing phosphates as the new bogeyman?

How about a set of test results? I'd wonder if what's happening isn't that you have a small scale algae bloom and the SWG and the algae are stalemated. What do you get if to grab a sample straight from the return?
scratchchin.gif

Richard320 said:
Are nitrates replacing phosphates as the new bogeyman?

How about a set of test results? I'd wonder if what's happening isn't that you have a small scale algae bloom and the SWG and the algae are stalemated. What do you get if to grab a sample straight from the return?
scratchchin.gif
last week i added phosphate remover for pools after 72 hrs i vacuum it directly out of the pool>>my hp is 7.8,alkal 80,total chl 0.1,free chl 0.0 if that can help you ...the sale person said i have to much nitrate. i have my pool for 10 years never had this progrem until i change over to swg...........

Well, I think Richard320 has guessed correctly, again.

You have no chlorine in your pool & you should add liquid chlorine/bleach to help the SWG keep up for now. You probably need to shock.

The pH needs to be lowered to about 7.4ish.

What is your CYA level?

What is the size of your pool, gallons?

Phosphates are irrelevent in a properly chlorinated pool and nitrates are very rare.
So, I suggest you forget about that for now and get some chlorine in your pool!

What test kit are you using?

Welcome to the forum :wave:

I still say, take a sample directly from a return jet with everything running. That will tell you if the SWG is generating chlorine. If it is, then you have algae using it up as fast as you produce it or your CYA level is too low and the sun's UV rays are destroying it as fast as you produce it.

Take a cup or water bottle, hold it upside down, bring it right over to a return, then tilt it so the return stream blasts straight in. Then quickly right it and pull it out.

Butterfly said:
Well, I think Richard320 has guessed correctly, again.

You have no chlorine in your pool & you should add liquid chlorine/bleach to help the SWG keep up for now. You probably need to shock.

The pH needs to be lowered to about 7.4ish.

What is your CYA level?

What is the size of your pool, gallons?

Phosphates are irrelevent in a properly chlorinated pool and nitrates are very rare.
So, I suggest you forget about that for now and get some chlorine in your pool!

What test kit are you using?

Welcome to the forum :wave:
what is my cyanuric acid (28),the the gallans about 22,000. im useing the the 5 drops tester for ph and chl reading......

Richard320 said:
I still say, take a sample directly from a return jet with everything running. That will tell you if the SWG is generating chlorine.

Agreed. That's the easiest way to tell whether that cell is working or not.

thanks for all your help,you guys really help me understand this swg, im biulding up the (cya) and bring mmy salt up to (3400) it at (3000) ill shock the pool tonight.. tomarrow is a new day with this pool. thanks tom....................

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Monday i put into the pool 8lb of chlori stabiliz to bring it up from 15ppm to 50ppm but today tuesday it rain so much i had to emty 4in of water out of the pool.they said don't backwash for 3 day when i put in chlori stabiliz Monday i guess i lost all of that stabiliz. i sampled the water from the reture line like you said Richard320 and there were no chlo shown on my test. help

dmanb2b said:
Add liquid chlorine, until we can get the SWG working. Listen to your friend and get a good testkit, including a salt test :goodjob:

pool-school/pool_test_kit_comparison

Welcome to TFP :goodjob:
Hi, helpers i called the rep from mybluepool and he didnot care about the pool com. that sold me there mach.......he did say my ph, my chlo stabilizer and salt need to up there numbs.im learning from you guys im trying that.he did say my swg needs to 3400 it at 2700 ill try one more week if it doesn't work im closing the pool down until next year............................................ Bull is fedup with the pool this year. Thanks 320 Richard and Mod Squad

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.