Discover a sharp but really small protrusion in pool bottom

ssck

Jul 4, 2011
I put in an above ground pool last September before the long hard winter. I used sand for the bottom. The bottom of the pool has some small depressions here and there which I assume is normal when using sand. However, one of the small depressions has a sharp protrusion almost like a grain of sand coming through the liner. Is this something I should take care of ASAP and how?

Re: Discover a sharp but really small protrusion in pool bot

It hasn't pierced the liner yet , but looks like it might given the liner is blue in the area and the spot has turned white. I am thinking about trying to push it down into the sand before it comes through. It's more than a grain of sand, it must be some tpye of debris that fell into the pool unnoticed. Is trying to push it down the right thing to do? and should I place a patch over the area or just mark the area and wait and see what happens. Also, I'm new to this stuff, so how easy and how strong does the patching process work. The pool has been open for only a month and I hate to think I'm patching it already.

Thanks,

It broke my heart to have to patch a toenail cut in ours after only two days.

I'd take a baseball bat if your have one and bump the piece down then put a patch over the place.

I've no experience on this matter, but if your set on resolving I'm wondering if placing a patch and then hammering it down is the way to go.
You said it's not leaking, but the process of tapping it down could create a leak, perhaps a patch ahead of time is warranted.

Just a thought.

My thought was that tapping it down might cause a leak but if you patched it first then tapping on the patch might puncture it and the liner and then you'd have to patch the patch. Just a thought.

Well, I think I fixed the problem, thanks for the advice. I ended up putting a temporary piece of clear patch over the area by taping it down with black elecitrical tape in order to see and tap down the protrusion. Once I was able to fix the problem I removed the temporary patch and place a permanent one.

I can know sleep at night.

Thanks,

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.