Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: FAS/DPD reagent

1. Back To Top    #1

FAS/DPD reagent

Apparently there is a distributor for LaMott test kits in Israel (finally!), and I am looking into it.
    I was wondering if anyone here used their kits (not the electronic, ColorQ ones) and can provide feedback.

What I was not sure about was the FAS/DPD reagent.
    They seem to refer to a DPD #1 powder as the FAS/DPD reagent.
    Shouldn't the FAS/DPD test use a different reagent than the "regular" DPD test? Is there a way to tell the difference?

On the Taylor website the R-0870 is listed as DPD powder and the R-0871 drops are listed as reagent for FAS/DPD test.
    Is there a difference between the powder and the drops or can both forms be used as FAS/DPD reagents?

My basic assumption (based on my simple test kits) is that DPD #1 reagent is used to test FC up to 3 ppm, whereas FAS/DPD (reagent?) can test FC up to few 10's of ppms)
    LaMott lists several "types" of DPD reagents on their website (DPD 1, DPD 1R, DPD 1A, DPD 1B, DPD 1 powder, DPD 2R, DPD 3, DPD 3R, DPD 4, DPD 4R)

Any help clearing this up is appreciated.
    Cheers,
    Yoav.
    15 KL (3300 imperial / 4000 US gallons) IG fiberglass pool, 61cm (24") Lacron sand filter, 3/4 HP Hayward pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: FAS/DPD reagent

Well if there other kits are anything like the ColorQ ones I'd avoid them, I had two of their ColorQ and when I tested them brand new against buffer solutions the readings were miles out, suffice to say I sent them back and bought myself the more expensive but highly accurate Palintest Pooltest9 Premium.

3. Back To Top    #3

As shown here, LaMotte calls their FAS-DPD reagent powder "DPD #1 Powder". To be sure, the part number is (6807)

Regular DPD uses DPD tablets or DPD liquid, not powder.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Freelancer
    Well if there other kits are anything like the ColorQ ones I'd avoid them, I had two of their ColorQ and when I tested them brand new against buffer solutions the readings were miles out, suffice to say I sent them back and bought myself the more expensive but highly accurate Palintest Pooltest9 Premium.
    Thanks Freelancer.
    After some experience with electronic testing equipment, I decided I'd rather use simple, reproducible, no-maintenance testing devices.
    I hope that in the ColorQ case, their electronics are off, which would mean I could still use their other simpler kits.
    Unfortunately Palintest do not have representation in Israel.
    15 KL (3300 imperial / 4000 US gallons) IG fiberglass pool, 61cm (24") Lacron sand filter, 3/4 HP Hayward pump

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW
    As shown here, LaMotte calls their FAS-DPD reagent powder "DPD #1 Powder". To be sure, the part number is (6807)

Thanks James,
    That sure clears it up for LaMotte.
    I wonder if that holds for the Taylor kits as well...

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Yoav

Thanks James,
    The Taylor FAS-DPD powder is reagent R-0870.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Yoav

Thanks James,
    The Taylor FAS-DPD powder is reagent R-0870.
    OK, now I see what I've been missing... the test uses both reagents...

8. Back To Top    #8

yeah, with the taylor kit the powder turns your sample pink and the 871 reagent turns it clear. The number of drops determines amount of chlorine.
    Aaron
    [ Vogue Vectra 24' AG | Hard plumb: Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1HP 2-speed, 27" sand filter & Pentair MiniMax 100 NG | Taylor K-2006 | Central IL ]