Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: DE in Pool Problem

1. Back To Top    #1

DE in Pool Problem

I have been struggling to resolve a problem w/ DE constantly appearing in the pool. I've replaced DE filter screens (twice), replaced spider gasket, cleaned and lubed the multiport valve. I have an American Titan 36sf DE filter and 2hp circulation pump.

Saturday, I replaced bearings in my circulation pump motor and disassembled the pump. I cracked the pump/motor seal and allowed water to drain to ground. I did not reset mulitport valve. When I pulled the motor and impellor out of the pump housing, I noticed a good amount of DE in the bottom of the pump housing and impellor. Could this be the source of my persistent DE in the pool? My thought was that somehow the multiport valve is allowing the DE filter to drain back into the pump casing on shutdown(filter is higher than pump). It would seem there would have to be a leak path (to drain?) through the multiport valve for the water to flow backward when shutdown. I have not noticed any leaks.

This has been going on for 1-2 yrs w/o resolution.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: DE in Pool Problem

DE in the pump is usually the result of air in the filter that should have been vented out. Normally, DE in the pump isn't enough to let DE into the pool.

DE getting into the pool is almost invariably a problem with a torn grid, cracked manifold, or filter not assembled properly.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Coastalish 'down easter'

Re: DE in Pool Problem

Welcome to TFP!!

How are things now?
    Luv& Luk

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)