Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: When pools go bad....

1. Back To Top    #1

SF Bay Area

When pools go bad....

Here are some interesting case studies of bad things happening to pools.

Structural engineers undo some of Mother Nature's roughest work - and save a pool in the proces ... 102006.pdf

Expansive clay and an unqualified deck contractor created big problems in this installation ... 222006.pdf

Expansive soils can wreak havoc on decking. Here, they also hurt the pool. ... 242006.pdf

Poor-quality gunite can lead to severe cracking in swimming pools. Here’s how to repair the damage. ... 182006.pdf

For years, says structural engineer Ron Lacher, pool builders have experienced failures of steps and benches in their
    shotcrete swimming pools much too frequently. What’s been puzzling is that the majority of these failures have occurred
    in spa steps and benches—a mystery to which he has responded with a detailed investigation of the problem’s
    possible causes—and a simple, workmanship-based solution offered herein. ... yMix%2Epdf

24,000 gallon inground freeform pool/spa circa 1983 (113 ft perimeter, 625 sq ft) with 350 gallon attached spill-over spa
    2007 2 HP, three-phase Hayward TriStar pump which is powered by an Ikeric VS-200 variable speed drive system
    1983 Laars XE Pool/Spa Heater Type ES 400,000 BTU, 1998 Hayward Super Star-Clear C-4000 cartridge filter (400 sq ft, 4 separate cartridges)
    1998 Polaris 380 pressure-side cleaner w/ 3/4 HP booster pump
    One skimmer :( and one PoolSkim :), One Supervision Galaxy LED pool lamp, Second story solar panels
    Hayward/GoldLine AquaLogic PS4 (replaced 1983 vintage dual circuit Intermatic timer)

2. Back To Top    #2
    hey thanks for the article, while all i got out of it was ordering that really neat looking remote control pool skimmer. YES. although i cant use it until next pool season

3. Back To Top    #3
    I wish I had a picture of my previous spa to show the PebbleTec that fell off the side.
    It was about 2 ft x 4 ft and went almost the entire side. It was repaired, but when I sold the
    house I noticed that it was cracking again.

Cliff s