Brand new pool owner = new to BBB method

Went to the pool bright and early this morning ready to properly go about shocking. Tested the water prior to adding the dose for info purposes and got readings of 1 ppm FC and a Ph of 7.4.

Added the shock dosage of 4 gals 2 quarts of 6% bleach. The pump was and is running. Tested about 40 minutes later to see and was only getting a reading of about 1.5 ppm. Was "shocked" to see that low of a reading. Thinking I had screwed up the test somehow, I returned to the instruction booklet and saw high levels of chlorine can bleach out the reagents and give false low or zero readings. Followed the procedures as outlined and bam, still about 1.5 ppm. At this point I decided to take my water to the local pool store to be tested rather than get further frustrated.

The pool store tested and gave the following results:

pH - 7.1
FC - .4
TC - 1
TA - 90 ppm
CYA - 25 ppm

Phosphates: 2000 ppb

While I realize these tests are somewhat subjective depending on the tester reading the color scale, it is consistent with my low chlorine reading. Their Ph test said it was low but the Taylor kit was right on with 7.4 when I tested. They also stated I had a high level of phosphate.

Im sufficiently lost at this point and need direction. I mean 40 mins after adding a shock dosage it shouldn't be all gone right? What to do?

serenity now, serenity now :rant:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.