Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Whats the reasoning behind brushing after new plaster?

1. Back To Top    #1

Whats the reasoning behind brushing after new plaster?

We have a new pool, its about 5 weeks old. The builder took care of it for the first three weeks, and had the pump running 24/7. When he turned it over to me he said that its very important I brush the walls/floors as much as I can, whats the reasoning behind this??

The pump runs 10 hours/day now, i dont mind the brushing (actually its a pain lol) but I just want to know why I am doing it.

I have a robot coming in the mail, will I still need to brush this monster Once the robot is running?

Thanks, J
    23K gal, in ground gunite, 2 HP Jandy pump, 200 sqft Jandy cartridge filter, Jandy SWG, Gulf Stream heat pump, Jandy Aqualink RS, 1HP air blower

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Whats the reasoning behind brushing after new plaster?

The plaster curing creates calcium hydroxide, which becomes calcium carbonate (this is called Plaster Dust). If you don't brush and keep the chemicals balanced, then the plaster dust will form scale on the plaster.

After about 5 weeks, you should be able to reduce the frequency of brushing to about once or twice a week if your chemicals are in balance.

3. Back To Top    #3

James, thanks much for the explanation. It makes sense to me know what I have been doing.

Do you think once I get the Polaris in the pool I can stop the brushing altogether or just do it once a week?
    23K gal, in ground gunite, 2 HP Jandy pump, 200 sqft Jandy cartridge filter, Jandy SWG, Gulf Stream heat pump, Jandy Aqualink RS, 1HP air blower

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by sharpie101
    Do you think once I get the Polaris in the pool I can stop the brushing altogether or just do it once a week?
    You should still brush periodically. Once a week is usually good. Use a nylon bristle brush.