Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: pool water into spa

1. Back To Top    #1

TFP Guide

In the Industry

pool water into spa

I am not sure if this is possible or not, but here goes my question.

I currently have an in ground pool with sag.

In my new spa, I am using a 2 part bromine system, combined with a swg? The swg helps in keeping the bromine constant while we are not adding spa pucks after use.

I find this spa is easily twice as much work as my pool and want to convert it over to chlorine.

Can I use the water already in my pool, which cya levels of 60, and put it in my spa? I would then simply add bleach after each use.

Secondary question would be, can I then retrun that water back into the pool when I wanted to change the water out?

Any help would be appreciated as BBB has me running my pool on less then $100 a year.

Rik

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: pool water into spa

I wouldn't do either. If you drain the spa into the pool you will turn your pool into a bromine pool and you'll have to do a 100% drain to get rid of it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

In the Industry

No, I am meaning to drain the spa, clean it, then add the water from the pool

4. Back To Top    #4

I missed the part about you wanting to convert the spa.

That would work then.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

In the Industry

could I then redumb spa water into pool...or would u throw it out at say 4 months?

6. Back To Top    #6

I would plumb it so I could pump it back and forth if it's feasible.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

In the Industry

I can do it with a submesible pump. spa is only 5 feet from pool.

I am thinking the water from spa, would easily be handled by the pool, then I could get fresh balanced water back into spa very easy. Just need to heat it back up...both would have cya an salt in it

8. Back To Top    #8

Since the spa is isolated, I'd just run it Using Chlorine in a Spa. The water should last a reasonably long time depending on bather load, but I'd dump it and use it for watering lawns or other areas (mix with other sprinkler water to dilute the salt). Adding it back to the pool just adds the built-up organics which eventually would require some pool water dilution though perhaps that happens with backwashing and rain overflow. You could use pool water to fill the spa.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

9. Back To Top    #9

You might want to only use half pool water to fill the spa so that your cyanuric acid in the spa ends up at 30 ppm instead of 60 ppm.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW
    You might want to only use half pool water to fill the spa so that your cyanuric acid in the spa ends up at 30 ppm instead of 60 ppm.
    Good point. I forgot about that CYA difference. It'll also be nicer having at least half fresh water in the spa anyway.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

In the Industry

Thanks to everyone that replied, I will be doing the change over soon.

Very much appreciated