pump replacement

Jun 25, 2011
Today was a warmer day, but nowhere near the temperatures down in the US. It was only 30 C or 86 F, which is nowhere near the 100 F like in Nevada/Arizona.

Anyways, I set the skimmer to suck 100% from main drain, with all lines open wide open. It seemed to be working fine, but when I came back a couple of hours later, the pump was off. It had overheated, like the times weeks ago when I vacuumed. I got it going again by placing a large fan beside it. It runs fine with the fan on, but stops every 20 mins with the fan off.

It seems that the pump is too small for the pool, so I see an upgrade coming. What do you think is the best replacement for a dura-glas 1 hp pump?

Tell us about your pool. What type is it? How many gallons? How many skimmers and returns? Are you running any water features? Suction side or pressure side pool cleaner?

We need to know a lot more before we can recommend a pump to you.
What size is your pool?
Is it an inground or above ground pool?
What equipment do you have?
Do you have any water features (fountain, waterfall, etc)?
How long are your plumbing runs?
Is the pump above or below the waterline?
And how far above or below?

First off, my dad recommend that I take an amperage reading with my tester. I took the reading off the black wire going to the timer (120v), and the amps were 14.05. On the faceplate itself, the max amps is rated at 14.8. The motor is working too hard even running without the vac plate in.. :?

Now for the info on my pool.

-It is inground, rectangular and roughly 14x36 ft, so with the calculations, approximately 55000-60000 L (14500-15000 G)
-The filter is a Sta-Rite Swimquip model of some sort.
-Pump is a Sta-Rite DuraGlas P2RA5E-124L 1 HP wired for 120 V.
-Chlorinator is installed on final line to returns.
-2 Returns, 1 Skimmer, 1 Main Drain
-Plumbing runs are 20 ft from Skimmer to pump, 10 ft from MD to skimmer, and 50 ft combined from filter to returns.
-The pump is above the water line, and only 1.5 ft above.
-There are no pool cleaners or anything like that.

I'll be happy to give any other info.

Since you're running below FLA (Full Loaded Amps) then it's not working too hard. It's most probably a weak thermal overload causing it to shut down.

Placing the vac plate on it will actually make the amps go down not up.

If I were going to replace it I'd go with a 1 hp 2-speed model.

Do you have any recommendations on specific models? I know Hayward makes some 2-speed models, but I don't think were going to bother investing in a new pump. I will try to find one on craigslist or kijiji for cheap. They will most likely be the older pumps, from Jacuzzi, Hayward, Jandy, etc. What is the best choice in terms of "older" pumps?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.