Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Check those connections!

1. Back To Top    #1

Check those connections!

I got a call from the wife asking me what I had done to the pool this time! I have a history of draining pools by forgetting to shut things off, draining fishtanks on livingroom floors, etc. She went on to say that my water level had dropped about 6" and was below the skimmer. In my calmest panicy voice I had her go over to the pump and turn it off. Once she got there she noticed water spraying from a PVC compression fitting. I went home and loosened and reconnected the fitting. It seems that the increased pressure in the sand filter from adding DE and CYA increaser had pushed the improperly installed connection to the leaking point. Good thing she was there to prevent a drained pool or/and a burned up pump. Be sure to check fittings!
    18x36 Vinyl In-ground w/roman ends 27,400G, Hayward 3/4hp with 300# sand filter. Hayward heat pump heater

Pool School
    Pool Calculator
    Test Kits

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Check those connections!

Good advice! Good thing you were able to go home and fix the problem.

A friend just told me about her own near debacle. She found the pool low by several inches this past Friday and traced it to a cracked drain plug on the sand filter with water spewing all over the equipment shed. That story made me go to the pool store and pick up a replacement cap for my own filter.
    AnnaK

12,500 gal AGP, Hayward sand filter, Pentair 2-speed pump, timer.
    Please visit our Pool Issues pages for information about step weights, managing the solar cover, and PoolSkim.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Check those connections!

I glad I have a wife that pays attention.
    18x36 Vinyl In-ground w/roman ends 27,400G, Hayward 3/4hp with 300# sand filter. Hayward heat pump heater

Pool School
    Pool Calculator
    Test Kits