Jandy neverlube and flex hose interior/exterior sizes

armstrr

LifeTime Supporter
May 11, 2010
Sarnia, Ontario Canada
Hi guys. I am ordering the valves and unions for the pump pad and I have a question with regards to tigerflex flexible pipe sizing and which size of jandy valves to buy.

The valves are listed as 1.5/2 or 2/2.5. I assume the latter would have larger internals and be less restrictive, correct?

I understand that the two diameters refer to the piping that will fit within the socket and that which will fit outside the socket.

So do the interior and exterior dimensions of 1.5" and 2" tigerflex, match up with that of PVC pipe? Ie, if I am using 2" tigerflex, it will fit over the outside of the 1.5/2 or inside the 2/2.5, correct? Given the choice, i assume the tigerflex on the inside of the 2/2.5 would be the best way (least restrictive). In my mind this may be better under pressure as the flex hose is on the inside and is captured by the valve socket which won't allow as much flexing.

Is my thinking sound?

armstrr said:
So do the interior and exterior dimensions of 1.5" and 2" tigerflex, match up with that of PVC pipe? Ie, if I am using 2" tigerflex, it will fit over the outside of the 1.5/2 or inside the 2/2.5, correct? Given the choice, i assume the tigerflex on the inside of the 2/2.5 would be the best way (least restrictive). In my mind this may be better under pressure as the flex hose is on the inside and is captured by the valve socket which won't allow as much flexing.
When using the outside of the valve, you use a coupling to go onto the valve and the pipe goes into the coupling.

The 1.5/2 valve has the same inside diameter as the outside diameter of 1.5 inch pipe and the same outside diameter as the outside diameter of 2 inch pipe.

Remember this picture in 10 years. I don't like flex.

FlexIn20Yrs.jpg

Scott

AquaDoctorLLC said:
Just an FYI check on the price of Pentair valves ($24) vs Jandy ($44) the savings may interest you. Pretty much the same valve.

My 2004 pool was built with Pentair never-lube type valves. Last year the cover o-ring popped, leaving a 1/4" gap and caused a nasty suction leak. This is a non-wear seal, it's just the cover that never moves.

It's a very thin o-ring and I consider it a design weakness. I have no idea if this problem is common. That said, otherwise I have been happy with them.

Pentair's, Hayward's, and Jandy's all have an o-ring to seal the top to the body. If left undisturbed, it doesn't have a problem. When you remove the cover and then put it back without any lube like Magic Lube or Jacks, its not a surprise when the o-ring goes South.

Scott

AquaDoctorLLC said:
Just an FYI check on the price of Pentair valves ($24) vs Jandy ($44) the savings may interest you. Pretty much the same valve.

I ordered 8 of the pentairs 3 days ago. I hope it was a good decision. I noticed the neverlubes are PVC and the pentairs I ordered are PVC . I guess cpvc is better?? I say that because there is a line of pentair valves that are cpvc and they match the neverlubes pricepoints....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.