Anything but trouble free.....help with equipment/chemicals/

Jul 3, 2011
I have a 24' round above ground pool. It came with a working but loud 3/4hp pump and a 50lb sand filter. Ive been having issues and sinking tons of money into chemicals and still not to the point im happy. Right now waters clear but algae on bottom, treating with copper tonight, all other readings are in green.

What size sand filter would you recommend? From reading I was thinking of getting a new 1hp pump, and a 150lb sand filter. Would this suffice? I know a few people with similar pools in various sizes and they dont have half the problems i do, the only difference Ive seen even on the smaller pool is the size of the filter. Would this be enough to resolve my issues?

I keep a 3" tab in skimmer, shock weekly, and get water tested weekly and adjust as needed. Im apparently not getting the help i need at the pool store and figured id try here.

Re: Anything but trouble free.....help with equipment/chemic

A 50lb. sand filter????....Are you sure??????? Can you give us the diameter or circumference of that filter? Model number maybe? If that's the case for sure, I'd put a 250 lb. one on it at least. Do NOT add the copper stuff! Read how to shock your pool in pool school. Can you post a full set of test numbers for us? Welcome!

Start out by reading Pool School. If you really have a 50 lb sand filter (which I doubt) you definitely need a bigger filter but that's not your problem. We'll need a full set of test results that Woody asked for to help clear this up.
pH
FC
CC
TA
CH
CYA

I don't recommend using any product with copper in it. If the copper level gets too high you can end up turning blonde hair green and casuing unsightly stains that are impossible to remove.

The sheet that they gave me when tested assuming im reading it right. Just shocked it with a few pounds last night had tested this morning. Still in same boat

Alkalinity 40
ph 7.6
calcium increaser 190
total chlorine 5
free chlorine 5
chlorine stabalizer 10
iron 0
copper 0

was told to add 10lb alkalinity increaser and they gave me copper 7 algecide. I have shocked the pool, Ive spent a small fortune in pool chemicals and havent gotten anywhere. IPool was green at start of season couldnt get clear. I drained it, took a shop vac to left over and fill city trash can with algae. Filled up and is clear now aside from residue at bottom.

Heres a pic of sand filter. sticker was ripped off but I just changed sand in it, was awful when drained. It took a bag to fill up thats it.

Thats what i figured it was. Ill go ahead and do what the pool store says for tonight then......what wold you suggest getting a 1hp pump and a 150 or 250 sand filter?Im assuming that would help with the problems we've been having?

Your pump is fine unless you need to change it. I'd go with a 250 lb sand filter or a 200 sqft cartridge filter. If you change the [ump I'd suggest a 1 hp 2-speed.

The pump works but is overly loud, had just planned on replacing it all at once. Ill see about upgrading the sand filter, hopefully that resolves the issue(s). I cant believe it came with such a small filter, have seen much smaller pools with larger filters then mine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.