Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Any DE go back in pool?

1. Back To Top    #1
    E. Bridgewater, MA

Any DE go back in pool?

I get a powdery substance that settles on the bottom of our pool that forms in lines or streaks. It's usually a brownish color but I noticed after cleaning my DE filter that now it is gray/white in color. It's not a lot, hardly need to vacuum once a week, but I'm now wondering, is it normal to see some DE/dirt back in the pool?

I don't believe there is a defect. This is my 3rd Haywood DE filter and our 2nd pool and I've always had to deal with this issue. I also never see any damage. ??
    15 X 30 X 3.6 Ester williams AGP
    10,800 gallons
    Haywood EC40C90 DE filter 1 HP pump
    TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Re: Any DE go back in pool?

If you only get it after cleaning, I wouldn't worry. It's just residual in the lines. Maybe you need to flush a little longer.

If it happens all the time, I'd say you have a torn screen or a cracked manifold.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!