Device to measure muriatic acid

[center:2znbsasp]http://www.lesliespool.com/Home/Pool-Chemicals/Chlorine/14491.html
14491.jpg
[/center:2znbsasp]

Funny that this came up just now. I had never dealt with MA before and had to add some today. Had some extra plastic cups (new, unused) so I marked a 1 cup spot on it and used that. And if I remember right it was Richard who said he pours his MA into a bucket of pool water & then dumps it all in the pool. I liked that idea so that's how I did it. Thanks, Richard! (You made it not so scarey to deal with)

Whatrymes said:
Richard320 said:
[center:1mecupjb]http://www.lesliespool.com/Home/Pool-Chemicals/Chlorine/14491.html
14491.jpg
[/center:1mecupjb]

You really love that cup Richard. :-D
I guess so....it just works so well. The only drawback is the size, shape, and handle. I use that cup to hold my sample water while testing, too. There have been some close calls from leaving it too close to my coffee mug.

Adding acid is a little bit tricky and a little bit dangerous.
When doing so, I wear eye protection and heavy black rubber gloves, both available at your local hardware store.
Remember also from chem class: always add acid to water, never water to acid (it spatters).
I fill a pail 1/2 way, measure the acid into a plastic measuring cup, slowly pour it into the pail to dilute it some, then pour the pail slowly into the pool. Rinse the measuring cup and pail, and done.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I use a red disposable dixie cup, the hard plastic type. I've marked it on the out side at 1 cup and 2 cups. It's close enough. I've been using the same cup for a month or so. When I have to replace the cup it won't be a loss. The other good thing is I don't have to worry about it getting lost or used in the house.

I go by Taylor Acid Demand, and in my pool, one drop equals 1/3 of a gallon. I just stand upwind and pour it in gently split among my three returns from about a foot off the water. I just guess at how much has gone in. Been doing it that way for thirty years and never a problem. Maybe a whiff every now and then.

Like the clown above, I use a Solo plastic disposable cup. I've been on the same cup for over a year now. I'll pour the acid into the cup while holding both over the pool, then dump the acid in with the cup close to the surface and then rinse the cup in the pool. I may be living on the edge, but I wear no protective gear when adding the acid.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.