Drain screws broken off?! How to fix???

I recently purchased a house with an in ground concrete pool (pool is filled with water). I noticed the drain cover was not affixed and upon closer view noticed that the drain screws are broken off, making the cover not stay on. Even though i'm in Southern California, where literally everyone has a pool, I can only imagine this could cost alot to have a pool professional come out an d fit it. Do I have to drain the pool to drill out the broken off screws or can I use some type of underwater epoxy to glue the drain cover on?

I guess epoxy is going to have to do. Personally I wouldn't do it. I would ez-out the screws. But it's going to require allot more time and effort! And an air tank!

The screw heads are completely shreared off. There is nothing to work with in terms of trying to using needle nose pliers to get them out. So going that route is a mute point. And I don't have an air tank. Even with an air tank, I would need some type of underwater drill to drill out what is left of the existing screws. So I guess epoxy route is the only one I can take. With that said, which epoxy should I use?

I wonder if an air drill wouldn't work underwater? You could probably find one cheap enough to experiment with at Harbor Freight. If the cover is like mine, it will fit anywhere in the opening, so what's to stop you from drilling a couple new holes next to the sheared-off screws and using some new stainless steel self-tapping screws?

No, an air drill will not work underwater! You have to use the old fashioned egg beater! It works trust me! I can take out screws that are broke out below flush, do it all the time. How old is your plaster? New plaster in the future?

maxepr1 said:
No, an air drill will not work underwater! You have to use the old fashioned egg beater! It works trust me! I can take out screws that are broke out below flush, do it all the time. How old is your plaster? New plaster in the future?

Help me out here.... What do you mean "old fashioned egg beater"? How do you take out screws that are broke out below flush UNDER water? The plaster is older, but I don't have any plans (or the funds) to replace it anytime soon.

socal_pomona said:
maxepr1 said:

Help me out here.... What do you mean "old fashioned egg beater"? How do you take out screws that are broke out below flush UNDER water? The plaster is older, but I don't have any plans (or the funds) to replace it anytime soon.
d2Alg.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Richard320 said:
socal_pomona said:
maxepr1 said:

d2Alg.jpg
That's right Richard! Take it down, drill in the center of the broke off screw with the correct bit for the easy-out you are using. You only have to drill down until the easy out can grab. Then use a tee handled tap tool and then back out the broke off shank.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.