Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Drain screws broken off?! How to fix???

1. Back To Top    #1

Drain screws broken off?! How to fix???

I recently purchased a house with an in ground concrete pool (pool is filled with water). I noticed the drain cover was not affixed and upon closer view noticed that the drain screws are broken off, making the cover not stay on. Even though i'm in Southern California, where literally everyone has a pool, I can only imagine this could cost alot to have a pool professional come out an d fit it. Do I have to drain the pool to drill out the broken off screws or can I use some type of underwater epoxy to glue the drain cover on?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Drain screws broken off?! How to fix???

Is there enough to grab with a vise grip pliers?
    40'x19' IG Diamond Brite 29K 4' Waterfall/Dive Rock FNS60 DE Inteliflo VS 2hp Whisperflo pumps Aqualogic(P4) SWG TF100 Tester

Pool School, Pool Calculator,TFTestKits,

3. Back To Top    #3

unfortunately not....

4. Back To Top    #4

I guess epoxy is going to have to do. Personally I wouldn't do it. I would ez-out the screws. But it's going to require allot more time and effort! And an air tank!
    40'x19' IG Diamond Brite 29K 4' Waterfall/Dive Rock FNS60 DE Inteliflo VS 2hp Whisperflo pumps Aqualogic(P4) SWG TF100 Tester

5. Back To Top    #5

The screw heads are completely shreared off. There is nothing to work with in terms of trying to using needle nose pliers to get them out. So going that route is a mute point. And I don't have an air tank. Even with an air tank, I would need some type of underwater drill to drill out what is left of the existing screws. So I guess epoxy route is the only one I can take. With that said, which epoxy should I use?

6. Back To Top    #6

I wonder if an air drill wouldn't work underwater? You could probably find one cheap enough to experiment with at Harbor Freight. If the cover is like mine, it will fit anywhere in the opening, so what's to stop you from drilling a couple new holes next to the sheared-off screws and using some new stainless steel self-tapping screws?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

No, an air drill will not work underwater! You have to use the old fashioned egg beater! It works trust me! I can take out screws that are broke out below flush, do it all the time. How old is your plaster? New plaster in the future?

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by maxepr1
    No, an air drill will not work underwater! You have to use the old fashioned egg beater! It works trust me! I can take out screws that are broke out below flush, do it all the time. How old is your plaster? New plaster in the future?
    Help me out here.... What do you mean "old fashioned egg beater"? How do you take out screws that are broke out below flush UNDER water? The plaster is older, but I don't have any plans (or the funds) to replace it anytime soon.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by socal_pomona
    Help me out here.... What do you mean "old fashioned egg beater"? How do you take out screws that are broke out below flush UNDER water? The plaster is older, but I don't have any plans (or the funds) to replace it anytime soon.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

10. Back To Top    #10

Does anybody know a person who can fix my pool drain (i.e. drill out two broken off screws) WITHOUT draining all the water out at a reasonable price in the Pomona(Phillips Ranch)/Diamond Bar area?

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    Quote Originally Posted by socal_pomona
    That's right Richard! Take it down, drill in the center of the broke off screw with the correct bit for the easy-out you are using. You only have to drill down until the easy out can grab. Then use a tee handled tap tool and then back out the broke off shank.

12. Back To Top    #12

If you use a left-twist drill bit, you may not even need the easy-out.
    [center:1kpalu48]Helpful Links: Pool School | CYA/Chlorine Chart | Pool Calculator[/center:1kpalu48]