Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New pool for a friend

1. Back To Top    #1

New pool for a friend

I've got a friend that's going to be renting a house with a pool in my neighborhood. The landlord insists that they have a pool service. They have tried to tell the landlord that they can handle the pool themselves, but the landlord has had too many bad renters in the past, and refuses to let them do their own maintenance. I even told them to have the landlord come over and look at my pool , didn't work What do you guys think they can do to maintain a perfect pool like mine? My ideas are 1:buy a TF-100, 2:Read pool school, 3:Remove trichlor tabs from chlorinator and use bleach once CYA is about 50. What do you guys think?
    12,800 gallon IG plaster kidney-shaped pool, waterslide, 800 gallon spa.
    1HP 2 speed Sta-Rite pool pump, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite spa jet pump. 2 skimmers, 1 main drain
    Purex-Triton TR-60 325 lb.sand filter. 2" Plumbing, Intex SWCG, TF-100 test kit.
    Link to pics of my pool! http://www.troublefreepool.com/my-oasis-t26558.html

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New pool for a friend

I think if the landlord insists on a pool service HE/SHE should pay for it. For the protection of your friend, make sure that that would be in any rental agreement. If your friend is going to take care of the pool, and with your guidance and TFP it should go very well, then that should also be in any agreement.
    17,500 gal. ABG Doughboy Pool
    1/2 HP Pump/150 sq.ft. Cartridge Filter
    TF100 Test Kit And Speedstir

3. Back To Top    #3

This landlord can no more hold the pool service company "responsible or liable" than he can the renter I think. Is his brother-in-law in the pool business? Being in Guam, I'm assuming you folks have no need to either open or close pools there? Those would be the 2 biggest areas of concern.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

A refundable 'pool cleaning' deposit might be one way to get the LL to agree to let them do it themselves. the parameters need to be spelled out specifically. If he won't agree to that then I'd tell him to close it and we wouldn't be using it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Or if possible tell your friend they will find another house to rent. Not sure if this is a possible solution though, but a thought.
    13,000 Plaster IG Pool approx
    Hayward C5030 Cart Filter
    Emerson 1081 EB653 1.0 HP 1.40 S.F. 3450 RPM
    Pool Calculator, Pool School, TF Test Kits

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for the ideas I'll pass them along. If they can agree on the pool maintenance, I'll be sure to direct them to TFP!
    12,800 gallon IG plaster kidney-shaped pool, waterslide, 800 gallon spa.
    1HP 2 speed Sta-Rite pool pump, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite spa jet pump. 2 skimmers, 1 main drain
    Purex-Triton TR-60 325 lb.sand filter. 2" Plumbing, Intex SWCG, TF-100 test kit.
    Link to pics of my pool! http://www.troublefreepool.com/my-oasis-t26558.html