Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Spa overflow problems

1. Back To Top    #1

Spa overflow problems

I don't have the specs on my pool with me right now, sorry about that, but my issue is that earlier today I turned off the pump and cleaned the pump basket out. Put water in the pump, water was still below the hole though, put the lid on and fired it up. The skimmer took a minute before it started to work but the spa overflow stopped working entirely.
    Any thoughts?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Spa overflow problems

Welcome to TFP!!

That sounds about right for the suction. The spa overflow may take a little longer - especially if it had backflowed to the pool level, turning on the pool will help refill it. I'm thinking that the missing spa water is in the pool and running the pump will fix things.

If you want this to stop happening, a check valve will solve the issue.
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the welcoming!

I have a check valve and so far its staying in place it just was not giving the whole waterfall effect. It stopped flowing over into the pool. Is it possible that it lost some pressure to push the water over?

4. Back To Top    #4

I think air got into the line. As soon as the air gets pushed out of the spa overflow line, it should start overflowing.
    40 X 26 Free Form Pool with attached 9 X 7 Spa raised 18" with 8 Jets and Spillover, and an Art Rock Waterfall/Grotto with accent rocks, 26,000 gallons
    Intelliflo VF-3050 for Pool, VS-3050 for Spa Jets, VS-3050 for Waterfall/Grotto, Quad DE 80, 400K BTU Mastertemp, Intellitouch i7+3 w/ iS10 10 Function Spa-Side Remote, Intellichlor IC40 Salt Chlorinator, Telephone Remote, 2 Intellibrites for Pool/ 1 for Spa, Solar Panels on 2 story Roof w/ 75% coverage
    Pebble Tec Tropical Breeze Tsunami's Pool Build

5. Back To Top    #5

So I could probably just turn the pumps on and let it push itself out? I seem to get this problem everytime I clean the pump basket out.

6. Back To Top    #6

Yes. When you open the pump basket, air gets into the system. You could speed up the process by bleeding the air out of the filter.
    40 X 26 Free Form Pool with attached 9 X 7 Spa raised 18" with 8 Jets and Spillover, and an Art Rock Waterfall/Grotto with accent rocks, 26,000 gallons
    Intelliflo VF-3050 for Pool, VS-3050 for Spa Jets, VS-3050 for Waterfall/Grotto, Quad DE 80, 400K BTU Mastertemp, Intellitouch i7+3 w/ iS10 10 Function Spa-Side Remote, Intellichlor IC40 Salt Chlorinator, Telephone Remote, 2 Intellibrites for Pool/ 1 for Spa, Solar Panels on 2 story Roof w/ 75% coverage
    Pebble Tec Tropical Breeze Tsunami's Pool Build