Intex Krystal Clear Model 637R Filter Pump Troubleshooting?

Jun 29, 2011
Dothan, Alabama
We finally got the ground leveled, and the pool set up and filled with water. We went to turn on the filter, and it isn't doing anything? You can hear it running, but where the skimmer basket is, there is no suction. I turned the filter off, and unscrewed the air release valve, to release some of the air. Plugged it back in, had my AH-HA moment when it finally started working, and then it stopped again? It only started sucking for about 2 seconds and stopped. Has anyone else had this problem when first setting up their pool, or know what I might be doing wrong? Thank you in advance!

Re: Intex Krystal Clear Model 637R Filter Pump Troubleshooti

Ok, did that, and the hose that goes to the skimmer is attached to the top valve on the pump. We thought we might of had it wrong before, and switched them only to realize once the skimmer started having bubbles come out of it, that we had it right the first time. I'm sorry this may sound like a horribly stupid question, but this is our first pool, and feeling a little overwhelmed with the troubles we've had with it. Thank you so much for helping me. Any other steps you think I could try?

You might lift the pump above the water level, unscrew the air release to allow the water to drain out, open the filter cover to make sure the filter element is centered top and bottom. Reinstall the filter cover, drop the pump below the discharge connection to the pool, open the air valve until water comes out, then plug it in. Also, make sure your hose connections are tight at the pool and the pump.

These pumps dont put out a ton of flow, but you should be able to feel the discharge easily.

Did all that, and it is getting a lot of air to it in a short time. We tightened all the hose connections, they were all very tight though. Still sucks for 2 seconds and stops. We only ran it about 10 seconds at the most, and when we would open the air valve a lot of air keeps coming out. Does this mean some how it is sucking air from somewhere? We've checked everywhere and everything looks tight and connected properly. Not sure how quickly or how much air is supposed to be inside the filter, but it seems like somehow that may be the problem?

Yes it is hooked to the upper port. The only other thing is the skimmer sits on top of the water, but where the hose hooks into the pool, that is not submerged in water. I'm wondering if that could have anything to do with it? Not sure if that makes sense. I'll take a picture and post it.

You need to set your skimmer to the right level. The body of the skimmer should be about 2 inches under water, while the blue floating ring section floats up to the surface. There is a thumb screw adjuster on the vertical bar that hold the skimmer body; loosen it, slide to where the body is 2 inches under and tighten the thumb screw.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

It likes being 4 inches being filled, but it is off a little, 2 inches unlevel. It was a foot unlevel, and we finished leveling it, but when we put it up we noticed it was about 2 inches unlevel. I'm letting my camera batteries recharge, and will post a picture in just a minute.

You have your skimmer hooked up to the wrong pool port. Hook the skimmer to the lower pool port, and the discharge to the upper pool port. Leave your pump hooked up as is.

Gosh, I hate typing, I'm pretty sure I'm not clearly communicating!

You do have to reverse the hose connections on the pool, not the pump, and reverse the skimmer and the discharge screen on the pool.

LOL!

Upper pump port to lower pool port, install skimmer.
Lower pump port to upper pool port, install discharge screen.

Open air vent until water comes out, then close and power it up!

I believe that is going to be the next hassle. Trying to figure that out. I bought the above ground chemical set that has test strips, chlorine tabs, and shock. I have a feeling I might be hollering for you again on that if it's okay. LOL. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.