Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: water loss?

1. Back To Top    #1

water loss?

i was wondering what the "normal" water loss would be for a 20x40 in ground pool. i lose about an inch a week, my neighbor loses much less and his pool is a litltle smaller but not much. just wondering if this is normal, or at least hoping lol
    20x40 IG vinyl, grecian style, 32.5k gal, hayward ec75a perflex d.e. hayward super pump 1 hp 80 gpm, 8 hr 38k gal turnaround

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: water loss?

There are many variables.

Bather load, temps, features, etc... all play a role. A loss of an inch a week, IMHO, is not something to worry about. A 24 hour bucket test with no bathers is more definitive.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

3. Back To Top    #3

Our pool is roughly the same size. We re-plumbed our pool three summers ago then checked to ensure nothing was leaking before back filling. Now we lose about 3 inches a week during July-Aug and less during the cooler months, so I'm sure you're doing OK. When we DID have leaks, my CYA stayed constant or decreased, despite using stabilized pucks all summer long---convenient but wasteful.
    20 X 40 inground gunite. 38,000 gallons, Jacuzzi Dial Valve Sand Filter, Jacuzzi Magnum 1000 pump. 40 + yrs in (fairly smooth) operation thanks to cussedness and a tiny bit of hydraulic cement.

4. Back To Top    #4

@applgrl- Not to mention the potential for water washout that exists. 3 inches a week is a lot of water.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.