Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool size - feedback?

1. Back To Top    #1

Flower Mound, TX

Pool size - feedback?

We live on the outside of a corner, so our lot is narrow in the front yard, but 180 feet across the back yard. It's technically about .35 acres. The problem is we have a shallow back yard, and then add a 7.5 foot easement, we're looking at a relatively narrow pool.

So I got out stakes and marking paint this morning, and marked where the inside of the pool would be (7.5 feet + 12" of gunite) from the easement, since we want to use every bit of real estate on that side. Then I marked out a fairly decent size patio area against the house (large enough that two people could pass with no problem), and we're looking at a pool that's easily 40+ feet long, but 18 feet wide at the deep end and only 11 feet wide at the shallow end.

For a family of two boys (8 and 11) in a neighborhood with other boys, I want to maximize the water surface for activities like basketball and lots of jumping/diving. From the collective experience here, is that size too small? Too narrow? Or a good size?
    20' x 40' / 33,000 gallon / IG / Vinyl
    200lb sand filter / 1hp pump
    4hrs full sun with about 45 min part sun before and after

2. Back To Top    #2
    Baton Rouge, LA

Re: Pool size - feedback?

Build what you can, and the kids will FIND a way to enjoy it!
    (DIY):16K Gal 20X30 rectangular IG Gunite, w/spa, CCP 520 filter,2 Pentair VS pumps, 400KBTU Pentair gas heater, Heat Pump for cooling, **update5.25.2013** added an intellichem with acid pump that will control existing SWG. My Build Thread Here

3. Back To Top    #3

We are only a couple of days in to our pool, but I can tell you, that our boy and his friends are in hog heaven. Our pool, which is posted on here (New Build League City), is an "L" shape due to a detached garage and easements. The front leg is only about 8.5' x 36' long (3.5' to 5' deep), then the back leg is 19'x13 ft (5' to 6' deep).

You have to deal with what you have, but anything you do can be made to be well worth it!

Good luck
    IG ~12,500 gallon, Hayward Cartridge Filter, Wetedge Luna Quartz plaster (Pacific/Aruba), Pool Pump: 1.0 HP Tristar by Hayward, Waterfall Pump: 1.0 HP Super II by Hayward

4. Back To Top    #4
    The Triangle, NC

Hi NotEnufToys~~

Our pool is 40 x 16, so it is easy for me to picture what yours might be like, and I think it will be just fine. You can do something attractive on the shallow end with nice wedding cake steps and a bench off along one of the steps...Make your 11 foot wide end a feature, not a downside. :P

25,000 gallon, refurbished 1960's inground concrete, Jandy sand filter w Jandy 1.5hp single-speed pump, Pool Pilot Digital SWCG+Chemtrol 2100+CO2 tank; PebbleTec White Pearl with 10% Cobalt Blue Dark Beadcrete by Olympic Pool Plastering, Georgia. Taylor K-2006 Test Kit; Aqua Check Salt test; LaMotte borates test, and Jack's Magic Sequest test kit; SparklyPoolitis level: extremely high.