Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Steps causing algae blooms?

1. Back To Top    #1

Steps causing algae blooms?

I picked up an AGP pool ladder from the curb, a rather nice one with handrails. It has hard plastic steps for the exterior, and a blow-molded step section in the water. Lately I have been getting a hint of algae which I react to with bleach...and then I began to think...

Could the blow molded section be an algae breeding ground? Next to no water circulation in there...

Think I'll drop some tablets inside it, what y'all think?

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Re: Steps causing algae blooms?

Certainly any hidey hole is suspect to develop algae. More important, though, is inadequate chlorine in the whole pool.

Are you keeping your overall FC within the guidelines suggested?
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Steps causing algae blooms?

The calculator suggests 3 - 7ppm, and I try to keep it at a steady 5ppm. Probably a lot closer to 7 right now eyeball judgement of the extra red in my 5ppm limited test kit.

I did some checking, and when I thought I had a 1Kgph pump, I had a 530gph pump. I changed to a 1Kgph pump from Lowes about an hour ago. I think low flow and a few days of non use are a factor as well.

I put some tabs in the ladder, and poured some bleach in as well. Not a major problem yet, and i dont intend to let it get that way!