Borate levels that won't go down!

May 18, 2011
:hammer: For some unknown reason the Borate levels in my pool will not go down! The levels are currently at 90! For weeks I've been running my pump 24/7 & backwashing 3 times a week. I drain the pool down to the minimum line on the skimmer, fill it back up & let it circulate for 3 days & then do it all over again, but the levels will not drop! The Pool Calculator states I need to drain 31% of the water and refill.

Any thoughts as to why the levels will not go down?

Also is there any danger to people or equipment with it being so high?

Thank you!!!

Yes, I added way to much when I did it for the 1st time back in May.

I use Aqua Check Borate test strips, which max out at 80. I got the 90 number from a computer analysis done at the pool place yesterday. It showed the Optimizer level of 90.

Most of the borate tests that are available are not especially precise. It is quite possible that they simply report anything over 80 as 90.

We don't recommend borates be over 80, but that isn't because of any specific danger, we are just being conservative.

Mix your pool water 50/50 w distilled water, test and multiply the result by 2. That wil give you a better reading than the pool store.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.