I have 2 questions but first the results:
FC - 3.5
CC - .5
TC - 4
PH - 7.8
TA - 100
CH - 70
CYA - 30

My system is SWG and BBB and I just tested after a rain and overcast currently.

Question 1 - what do i do while gone for 7 days on vacation? I have a neighbor that could drop some Bleach in after a few days if needed.

Question 2 - today the water feels a little slimy or soft ( like a water softener was hooked up) what the heck is that?

Newbie here thanking everyone in advance for the advice. BTW, i will use pool calculator to get FC up also my water has been crystal clear and still is.

I would lower the pH down to 7.2 prior to leaving. I would also add additional CYA to get a total of 60-70ppm. Your FC will likely be higher when you return because the CYA will protect it from the sun

I can't answer why your water would feel the way you describe.

Yep, you do need to drop your pH. 7.2 would be a good target w/SWG and your TA.

For the slimy/soft feeling :? , I suggest you do the OCLT to determine if you have organics trying to take hold.
OCLT directions in Pool School : pool-school/overnight_fc_test

When are you leaving on vacation?

Do you plan to leave your system running w/SWG while you are gone?

Do you have/use a solar cover?

I would not raise the CYA until you determine whether or not you need to shock.

I am leaving Tuesday 9am. I will leave my entire system as it is, 10am to 10pm pump running and SWG as well. I have never shocked or raised my levels high because I dont know what to do.

the only real changes to my test results from 7 days ago were:
FC - 6.5
PH - 7.4

I dont have a cover except a winter cover.

Well, I think it's a good idea for you to do the OCLT and see if there could be a problem w/organics. The description of your water as soft/slimy water is not normal.

[s:lb6gpd49]It would also help if you posted a full set of current test results.[/s:lb6gpd49] :hammer:

I did the overnight FC loss test and had the same results at 6am as I did at 7pm so no loss in FC or CC. Also, the slimy/soft feeling the water had is gone and it feels more normal now. Take note, my SWG was running when i felt the water, maybe that feeling was from the SWG doing its job (again newbie here). Water is so clear is like the pool is empty.

[*] Now my new question is can i shock the pool just for the sake of it, with my CYA at 30 I would only be getting the FC to 12 (252oz of 6% B). I am going on vac and need to get FC to higher level anyway. I have read pool school and know its not really needed, but i have never shocked the pool, i have only maintained normal levels. thoughts?

[*] Also, do i need to test for salt? seem like strips are whats offered.

Taylor also makes a drops based kit (K-1766) that is initially more money but you get a lot more tests and is a better deal if you plan on testing for salt frequently.

It is also somewhat more accurate but the Aqua chek strips are fine for almost all pool applications.

You can get them at many places on the net or at TFTestkits.net

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.