First at home test...

Okay here are my numbers:

FC 3
TC 3
CC 0
ph 7.2
TA 110
CYA 0???? I never lose the black dot when I test either.

I added stablizer on Tuesday night so is it possible it's not reporting correctly yet?

We Superchlorinated with SWG Wednesday night, shocked Thursday night and Friday night. Put 1/2 gallon of Pool First Aid in Friday morning and this morning. Pool looks to be clearing up slowly. Still have the nasty smell that I'm guessing goes with the algae we've been killing.

Do I need to shock again tonight? and isn't that based on my CYA? If so how do I do that if I don't know what my true reading is since I added stablizer on Tuesday? Or do I just go with 0?

Very glad to have found these boards and slowly feeling like I met get control of this pool! Thanks so much!!

A little of the stabilizer you added might not be dissolved and showing up on the test yet, but most of it should be. CYA can be as high as 20 and still read as zero on the test. How much stabilizer did your add on Tuesday?

Pool First Aid isn't really needed. It doesn't really do anything in this situation. Pool First Aid is good for cleaning up oil spilled in the pool, but it really doesn't do very much for algae.

I suggest raising the pool to shock level again this evening and doing an overnight FC loss test (see Pool School). That will tell you if you have killed all of the algae yet or not.

JasonLion said:
A little of the stabilizer you added might not be dissolved and showing up on the test yet, but most of it should be. CYA can be as high as 20 and still read as zero on the test. How much stabilizer did your add on Tuesday?

Pool First Aid isn't really needed. It doesn't really do anything in this situation. Pool First Aid is good for cleaning up oil spilled in the pool, but it really doesn't do very much for algae.

I suggest raising the pool to shock level again this evening and doing an overnight FC loss test (see Pool School). That will tell you if you have killed all of the algae yet or not.

We added 6 lbs of stabilzer through skimmer very, very slowly....(going to look into that sock trick for next time).

So to shock tonight, since my CYA isn't showing up, do I just go by the chlorine level when I test this evening?

Also, the Pool First Aid does appear to be helping it clear up. I know that shocking is helping as well, but when we added it today and yesterday, the pool looked exactly as it did the nights before and has gotten remarkably clearer when we've added it each morning.

I'm planning to shock again tonight if I can figure out how much to add since I don't get my CYA to show and then doing Pool First Aid again in the morning if it's not clear. Once I get this cleared up, I'm planning to maintain using the pool calculator and my home testing. Even bought some Borax today. Liquid shock from the pool store appears to be cheaper than actually buying bleach at the grocery. So, I'm beginning to learn some basics I think!

Thanks again!!!! :-D

Generally, 24 hours after CYA has dissolved, we say to "assume" it is there and use that CYA # to determine your chlorine levels. After 5 days in your filter, I assume it is there.

You can use the PoolCalculator.com to determine the level of how much 6 lbs of CYA will add to your pool.

I get CYA of about 40. So, shock level is about 15 FC. Double check this w/the Pool Calculator!

Kimmisue said:
anonapersona said:
Can you tell us the CYA level that you calculate will be in the pool when it all shows up?

How do you predict that?

Use the Pool Calculator, put in the size of the pool, then at the bottom, Effects of Adding Chemicals, enter the pounds of stabilizer you added. It will tell you the calculated CYA ppm. Call that the "calculated CYA" as compared to the "tested CYA" since for now they are not the same.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.