Can I get by with using Trichlor?

sushi

Jun 29, 2011
~4000 gallon Intex pool: I bought a container of HTH Trichlor pucks before finding this site. Can I make use of them, or do you really think they'll throw the levels off over time? Would it be better to put them in the hanging sock method rather than in the floating dispenser?

You can use about 4 lbs of trichlor without any problems. After that it starts to depend on the rate of water replacement. The more splash out and backwashing you do the longer you can keep using trichlor. Eventually the CYA level gets too high, and then there start to be problems.

The floater will keep them away from the edge better. Pucks have acid effects from the stabilizer (CYA) and chlorine, both can hurt vinyl.

You can weigh the pucks and count out the total that equals 4 lbs/ When you are near there, then you will need to test CYA to see where you actually are, after splashout etc, and see if you can use a few more or must switch to bleach or cal-hypo for chlorine.

I suggest saving a bit of room on the CYA level for using pucks while you are on vacation. So, stop at CYA 30 and know that with a vacation you can use pucks to the point of CYA 50.

CYA is lost with splashout, and since fill water will have no CYA that will decline. But filling due to evaporation does not change CYA since the CYA was left behind with evaporation. Therefore testing is the best way to know where you are.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.