Start up questions.

KAB

Jun 18, 2011
wisconsin
I am looking for a little guidance. I have read pool school about 3x now. I have my TF100 test kit. I am ready to go.
Last saturday i emptied my pool and got new water. I got my ecosmarte unistalled on wed. and a Pentair 300 chlorine feeder installed. I have 2 socks hanging filled with CYA . I have the rest of the CYA sprinkled in pool trying to dissolve. (8lbs total).
I just did a few tests and as a usual newbie freaked out. :?
PH 7.8
FC 0
TC 0
CC 0
TA 170
CYA 0

I will be going out of town for 1 week and would like to get this under control first. I am excited about the BBB method but think pucks would make the most sense since I am gone a lot and the pool will need to be drained over 16 inches to get it winterized each year.

Is there a certain order we should attack this? How long should we space out between CYA,Acid,bleach ,etc.?
Thanks!!

With the numbers you've posted, fix FC. In the future, I would not sprinkle granular CYA in the pool. Takes forever to dissolve that way and could possibly damage your liner. It is very acidic. I'd either brush the snot out of it or vacuum it out.

You are actually in good shape. You need chlorine right away. Use the pool calculator. Enter specs for your pool, gallons at the top, at the bottom enter TFP for goal levels and then your pool surface. Now column is data you said above, use the CYA you expect after the volume of stabilizer you added a the now value. The calculator will give you a goal range for FC, maybe 4ppm - 6ppm for example. Use the upper number and put that as your target FC. Select 6% bleach and see the volume it tells you to use. That is probably it for today. As pH rises, you will use acid to keep it down which will slowly lower that TA, you can let that be for now.
Not sure of the CYA you are calculated to be at now, but if you travel much you are better off to keep that on the low side so you have the luxury of using trichlor tablets sometimes.

You should target CYA about 30, that leaves you room to use tablets.

Acid must be separated from bleach, by 30 minutes or the length of the pool, nasty mustard gas if they combine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.