It's finally clean!

Jul 11, 2010
After fighting with my pool for over a month because I didn't cover it for the winter, the pool is finally CLEAN. I vacuumed the last of the dirt off the bottom and added liquid CYA to it today.

The fine folks at Leslie's Pool claim the CYA will be fully disolved in 24 hours because I bought the liquid instead of the crystals. How long do I have to wait to add bleach? Got three big jugs of Clorox sitting by the side of the pool waiting to go in.

Funny part was, the girl as Leslie's said I didn't need to add CYA because it's in the pucks. I told her I didn't plan to use pucks. I had every employee in the store descend on me at that point trying to explain to me that I just can't shock it every day. I HAVE TO use pucks. I just paid for the CYA and walked away.

Ok, here are the numbers that were asked for:

Free Available Chlorine: 0.5
Total Available Chlorine: 0.5
Calcium Hardness: 160ppm
Cyanuric Acid: 0
Total Alkilinity: 80ppm
pH: 7.4
Copper: 0 ppm
Iron: 0 ppm
Total Disolved Solids: 800
Phosphates: 0 ppm
Temperature: 65

I added the liquid CYA at 1:00 PM today. Do I have to wait 2 hours for it to fully dissolve, or can I shock it this evening?

Bama Rambler said:
I'm constantly amazed how just how much they don't get it. :hammer:

I thank God I found this place. I did BBB for the first time last year, and it was the first time that I didn't start getting Algae at the end of August.

I'm thinking all those pucks I used shot my CYA high enough that I did not have enough free chlorine to kill the algae. Using a CYA dose at the beginning of the season. followed by BBB, and I had no problems all season.

Leslie's lives and dies by the pucks. To them you're either dissolving them or you're shocking. There's no other method. At least in my experience with them. My local stores don't sell anything but tablets... small, medium, large and jumbo tablets. And expensive pouches of shock granuals that they happily sell by the case!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.