Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: summerizing

1. Back To Top    #1
    Scottsdale, AZ

I would appreciate advice on how to summerize my spa. Here in AZ there's no reason to keep it running June, July, Aug when air temp is too hot to enjoy a spa. I drained the tub, but I'm wondering about the remaining water in the plumbing, just sitting there all summer with who knows what growing in it.
    Pool: PebbleSheen; Pentair WhisperFlo 1.5hp; Pentair IntelliChlor IC40; Paramount PV3 in-floor cleaning; Pentair CCP420 cartridge filter; Polaris PowerFall 48" sheer descents (2); 8000 gal
    Spa: L.A. Spas San Juan; ozone; 386 gal

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: summerizing

If the spa is fully drained there won't be any significant amount of water left in the plumbing and any drops that are left will evaporate in a couple of days.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

San Rafael, CA USA

There is an issue with new spas that are wet-tested in that the water that remains in the plumbing can often form biofilms, but in your case if you use chlorinated water when you are draining and the temperatures are hot, then you are at lower risk as Jason mentioned. New spas are often stored in cooler warehouses or showrooms so evaporation of water is slower. Worst case, you can just re-open your spa in the winter using Spa System Flush if for some reason biofilms formed in the piping from any residual water. When you open your spa you can just see if your daily chlorine demand with no bather load is the "normal" 25% 24-hour loss at hot spa temperatures.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

4. Back To Top    #4

The Netherlands, Europe

I don't know how hot it get's over there, but last week it was over 35 degrees in my garden. I shut of the power of my spa, added cold water till it was 32 degrees and spent a wunderfull afternoon in it

However, on refilling I would also clean the pipes with a special cleaner.
    Sunspa Monaco in the garden since March 2011.