Cloudy water due to Cal-Hypo

likwid

Jun 11, 2011
Waldorf, MD
I have been trying to Google search this for a week with no reason or cure to why Cal-Hypo turned my pool from crystal clear water to cloudy. I know its the Cal-hypo because as soon as i put it in the pool it began to transform.

I use to use other chlorine until i found out it was raising my CYA to high levels.. So researching I found that cal-hypo wont raise CYA. Anybody know why this is and can it be cleared up while still using cal-hypo.

FC - 9
TC - 9
PH - 7.4
Alk - 115
CH - 60
CYA - 70

Liner pool.
DE filter
Pump runs 5 to 6 hours a day.

I used to get that from time to time. I cant explain what it is, But a guess would be cal percipitate. Every time it happened i would have to flocc the pool and vac to waste because the DE filter would not filter it out.

Adding cal-hypo can cause tiny grains of calcium to form that are small enough to get through the filter, and still large enough to cause cloudy water. However, given the test results you posted, those grains of calcium should dissolve back into the water fairly quickly and the cloudiness should go away.

Instead of cal-hypo you can use bleach/liquid chlorine. That doesn't add either CYA or calcium to the water.

It never goes away, its not terribly cloudy just noticeable. I add chlorine everyday as it seems I go from 9 to about 7 FC by the next morning (that's morning to morning not overnight). With the CYA I have the chart tells me to keep it between that range.

If i add it right to skimmer it will cause the filter to clog instantly. From 7 PSI to 15 in about 30 seconds. So i have been diluting it with water for about 30 min then adding it. Seems to stop that.

I'd use bleach but I cant seem to find a good price for it. That and now that I have a stock pile of Cal-Hypo and Tricolor it will take 2 seasons to use it all. I think I might go to a salt system in year 3 or 4 give that a go.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.