Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: uhh oh... not good... spa light cable stuck.. and broken

1. Back To Top    #1

uhh oh... not good... spa light cable stuck.. and broken

ok.... my pool is probably 15 years old in the house we bought. I tried to remove the spa light assembly to replace the bulb but the idiots didnt leave enough chord... The spa light is probably 15 years old too.
    So I drain the spa and pull the light assembly out and lay it in the spa bottom. I decide to go buy a new assembly cause this one looks shot... $280...
    Now I disconnect the spa light electricals from the junction box. Then I go to pull the assembly and chord out of the pool...
    Some smart guy has packed the conduit that the cable comes through in the back of the light niche with silicone. I cant get the cable to budge. I pull and pull and then I try to cut some of the silicone away... I pull and pull and... the cable breaks in half! I am left with the old light unit with no cable coming out of it...
    Ok... I still try and try to pull on the cable and it is sealed tight. So now I go to the junction box and I try and pull the cable back out that way... no luck. I get out a pulley and try... the thing wont budge. I pull and pull with the pulley and... the cable breaks again.
    So now I am left with no way to get a new spa light installed in my inground pool. Looks like I may have to just put the old broken light back in and forget having a spa light..

Stuck with a broken spa light cable in pvc which is packed with silicone...

Any suggestions?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: uhh oh... not good... spa light cable stuck.. and broken

You usually only see that when the conduit leaks. They seal the back of the niche to stop the leak instead of digging up the conduit.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

does that mean I need to dig up and replace the conduit? Is it fairly easy to replace? I am guessing I will need to cut through my concrete pool deck as the spa is about 5 ft from the end of the deck. Would there be any other options? Thanks for your help on this! How unusual is this?

4. Back To Top    #4

You don't have to do anything unless you want the light to work again

It is possible to fix the light, but it is going to be a large project that includes either taking out a section of deck or tunneling underneath it. That is so much work/expense that most people give up at this point and live without the light. That is why the back of the niche has silicone in it in the first place, better an imperfect temporary fix than spending the money to really fix it.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

thanks Lion. That is what I will do. I have re- siliconed the conduit in the nuche and have simply reinserted/ installed the old light unit. I guess when we redo the concrete deck one day we can address the spa light. Thanks much for the advice. This forum is very valuable for us newbies.

6. Back To Top    #6

Goodness I would think you could dig out the silicon thats there, run a new cable with a fish tape, then re-silicone up the light fixture. Does the packed in old sealer go around a bend or something?
    (DIY):16K Gal 20X30 rectangular IG Gunite, w/spa, CCP 520 filter,2 Pentair VS pumps, 400KBTU Pentair gas heater, Heat Pump for cooling, **update5.25.2013** added an intellichem with acid pump that will control existing SWG. My Build Thread Here

7. Back To Top    #7

Wrap some duct tape around one end of a hacksaw blade and work it into and through the silicone then cut completely around the wire until it can be pulled out. If you have a hard time getting the fish tape through, coat it with Ivory dish soap to lubricate it as you push it in.
    25k gal Lazy-L, vinyl liner, poly walls, swimout spa, diving board, TurboTwister slide.
    Hayward 2HP 2-spd pump, Pentair 2HP spa pump, Hayward 30" 500lb sand filter.
    Goldline Pro Logic PS-8 automation/SWG. 2 LED ColorLogic 4.0. 8 Jandy deck jets. MX-8 cleaner.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Lershac
    Goodness I would think you could dig out the silicon thats there, run a new cable with a fish tape, then re-silicone up the light fixture. Does the packed in old sealer go around a bend or something?
    Unfortunately Jason is probably correct

The conduit snapped and is pinching the cord, the silicon was to stop the leak and there is no practical way to replace the light without re-running the conduit
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

9. Back To Top    #9

ahhh I see. That truly sucks. Seeing as I am about to install two light niches, whats the best way to avoid this happenning?
    (DIY):16K Gal 20X30 rectangular IG Gunite, w/spa, CCP 520 filter,2 Pentair VS pumps, 400KBTU Pentair gas heater, Heat Pump for cooling, **update5.25.2013** added an intellichem with acid pump that will control existing SWG. My Build Thread Here

10. Back To Top    #10

Yeah, I think there is at least a full tube of silicone in there. I tried with a long flathead, a long thin saw, needle nose pliers, etc.... I could not reach the end of the silicone. I was in there very very deep. I triend to pull the cable out the all manner of leverage tool and there was no way it was coming out. The spa light has never worked since we bought the place and I guess the conduit was leaking so someone sealed it up permanently...