New filter, dirty water

May 31, 2008
OK
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I bought a Pentair Sand Dollar filter a couple weeks ago, replacing my Hayward S200 that had a crack in the top of it. The water has been dirty/cloudy ever since I installed the new filter. Vacuuming picks up the dirt from the floor, but the water quickly starts to cloud up while vacuuming, almost as if I was vacuuming in recirculate mode rather than filter. I'm 100% sure I put in the right amount of sand, but I'm wondering if I didn't put the right sand in when I installed it. I used Quikrete pool filter sand from Lowes. Does it really matter what brand or kind of sand I use? 10k gallon IG, 3/4hp Super 2 Pump, no problems before I put the new filter in. I added some DE the way that pool school recommends and it really didn't help any. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Quikrete pool filter sand is just fine. There are kinds of sand that won't work, but anything labeled pool filter sand is fine.

Sand filters don't catch the very finest debris very efficiently, so some of it will get through while you are vacuuming. You can either vacuum it up to waste or give the filter more time as it will catch it eventually.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.