Stumped on how to connect PVC to Doughboy return fitting

Infe

May 23, 2011
I'm trying to make a 1 1/2 pvc fountain for my Doughboy pool, but I'm stumped as to how to connect anything to my return fitting. The fitting is 1 1/2 inches and is threaded on the outside, but then there is a circle of plastic at the end (sorry, don't know the term) that prevents me from screwing anything on to it. On the inside, there are a couple of pieces of plastic that look like you could connect some sort of adapter to it. I know I'm missing the return eyeball, but I just want to know how to connect a pvc pipe to this.

Thanks for any help! I've attached a picture of the return fitting if it helps.

Attachments

• doughboy return fitting.jpg
    doughboy return fitting.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 382
You can use a PVC 1 1/2" Split Nut. You should be able to see one if you Google PVC Split Nut. I hope this helps.

Tim

Here is a Picture... I hope. I am new at this!

splitnut.jpg

The part with the outside threads should screw out of the return. It's an adaptor for a Polaris sweep cleaner. The "couple pieces of plastic" connect the Polaris hose to the return. The collar on the adaptor should also screw off and leave you with the original doughboy return. I also have a doughboy pool and used the Polaris sweep years ago. Didn't care for the sweep contraption but the hose works well for pumping out excess water.

Hmm, very interesting. I didn't try too hard to unscrew because I didn't want to break anything. Do you happen to have a picture of the return so I have a better idea where to put pressure? Appreciate the tip though!

I'm not a very good techie person with computers and pics but I'll grab one of my friends if needed. If I remember correctly I had a bit of a problem getting mine off too when I decided to chuck the Polaris. I took a pliers and went "lefty loosey" and off it came. I also was mistaken in my previous post about taking the collar off the adaptor itself. Once the adaptor was out I just left the return as is. I am also missing my return eyeball but when I work on my equipment I screw in the round part that would hold the eyeball and insert a plug to close off the return. The round part (with a hole in the center) holds the plug. Do you have a Doughboy place near you? You could take a look see there or google Doughboy for parts. Also, once the adaptor is out you can take it with you to a hardware store to match up what will screw into your return and go from there on your fountain. If you still need pics let me know & I'll see what I can do. My neighbor (and friend) is a professional photographer so I know he is quite able to handle the pics! Please post some pics of your fountain when your done...maybe I'll look into doing one!

Hah! I feel silly now, you were 100% right. I got the pliers and immediately the adapter came out. Thanks for the help! I'll post the fountain when I get that done. Still thinking on design :)

Well, here's the pool fountain I made. Now that I've done it, I want to redo it...it sprays messily and gets on the deck. Possibly I can fix it by drilling the holes some more...just glued together some PVC pipe from Lowe's and anyway, the kids love it! I redirected the output to go alone the edge of the pool, and I don't know if it improves filtration, but it sure catches the heck out of the leaves!

Attachments

• fountain.jpg
    fountain.jpg
    222.2 KB · Views: 229

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.