Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Stumped on how to connect PVC to Doughboy return fitting

1. Back To Top    #1

Stumped on how to connect PVC to Doughboy return fitting

I'm trying to make a 1 1/2 pvc fountain for my Doughboy pool, but I'm stumped as to how to connect anything to my return fitting. The fitting is 1 1/2 inches and is threaded on the outside, but then there is a circle of plastic at the end (sorry, don't know the term) that prevents me from screwing anything on to it. On the inside, there are a couple of pieces of plastic that look like you could connect some sort of adapter to it. I know I'm missing the return eyeball, but I just want to know how to connect a pvc pipe to this.

Thanks for any help! I've attached a picture of the return fitting if it helps.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Stumped on how to connect PVC to Doughboy return fitting

You can use a PVC 1 1/2" Split Nut. You should be able to see one if you Google PVC Split Nut. I hope this helps.

Tim

Here is a Picture... I hope. I am new at this!

24' X 52" AGP - On a concrete slab with 1" Dow blue foam board bottom.
    2Hp 2 speed Waterways pump/Cart. Filter.
    Hard Plumbed 20' away
    Deck 1/3 around pool
    Pool Rover Jr.
    DIY project
    Best Pool Store Quote, "THAT BLEACH WILL DESTROY YOUR LINER."

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks, I will try this! Have to order the part looks like it's not too common.

4. Back To Top    #4

The part with the outside threads should screw out of the return. It's an adaptor for a Polaris sweep cleaner. The "couple pieces of plastic" connect the Polaris hose to the return. The collar on the adaptor should also screw off and leave you with the original doughboy return. I also have a doughboy pool and used the Polaris sweep years ago. Didn't care for the sweep contraption but the hose works well for pumping out excess water.
    17,500 gal. ABG Doughboy Pool
    1/2 HP Pump/150 sq.ft. Cartridge Filter
    TF100 Test Kit And Speedstir

5. Back To Top    #5

Hmm, very interesting. I didn't try too hard to unscrew because I didn't want to break anything. Do you happen to have a picture of the return so I have a better idea where to put pressure? Appreciate the tip though!

6. Back To Top    #6

I'm not a very good techie person with computers and pics but I'll grab one of my friends if needed. If I remember correctly I had a bit of a problem getting mine off too when I decided to chuck the Polaris. I took a pliers and went "lefty loosey" and off it came. I also was mistaken in my previous post about taking the collar off the adaptor itself. Once the adaptor was out I just left the return as is. I am also missing my return eyeball but when I work on my equipment I screw in the round part that would hold the eyeball and insert a plug to close off the return. The round part (with a hole in the center) holds the plug. Do you have a Doughboy place near you? You could take a look see there or google Doughboy for parts. Also, once the adaptor is out you can take it with you to a hardware store to match up what will screw into your return and go from there on your fountain. If you still need pics let me know & I'll see what I can do. My neighbor (and friend) is a professional photographer so I know he is quite able to handle the pics! Please post some pics of your fountain when your done...maybe I'll look into doing one!

7. Back To Top    #7

Hah! I feel silly now, you were 100% right. I got the pliers and immediately the adapter came out. Thanks for the help! I'll post the fountain when I get that done. Still thinking on design

8. Back To Top    #8

You're more than welcome. Good luck on your fountain! Hey, that rhymes!

9. Back To Top    #9

Well, here's the pool fountain I made. Now that I've done it, I want to redo it...it sprays messily and gets on the deck. Possibly I can fix it by drilling the holes some more...just glued together some PVC pipe from Lowe's and anyway, the kids love it! I redirected the output to go alone the edge of the pool, and I don't know if it improves filtration, but it sure catches the heck out of the leaves!
    Attached Images Attached Images

10. Back To Top    #10

Cool! I like the shut off feature. I would have never thought of that. Thanks for the pics, though. Might be something I'll look into next season.