Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Stain Problem

1. Back To Top    #1

Stain Problem

I bought a house with a pool last year, so I am a little new to all of this. The pool had been closed all of last year and it was a green mess. Got it all cleared up thanks to lots of bleach and the water looks clear. I had a couple light stains in 2 of the bottom corners. I tried scrubbing them but to no avail.
    I shocked it and they got lighter, but started get darker again. I shocked again and scrubbed with the brush. Again they got lighter, but came back. I looked around online and thought maybe it was a metal stain, so I got some vitamin C tablets. I put them in a stocking and rubbed them on the stain. Did nothing (it may have gotten slightly lighter, but that could be from rubbing it or just imagined). I used about 20 tablets. Now, the stains have now gotten darker and now light stains are forming all around the bottom. Help!

Stats:
    CYA: 50
    FC: 3.5
    CC: 0
    TA: 100
    CH: 70
    PH: 7.4
    Vinyl liner, inground pool. ~18,000 gallons.

A few pics of the stain:
    [attachment=2:1xu5rlrr]photo1.JPG[/attachment:1xu5rlrr]
    [attachment=1:1xu5rlrr]photo2.JPG[/attachment:1xu5rlrr]
    [attachment=0:1xu5rlrr]photo3.JPG[/attachment:1xu5rlrr]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Intex 16x48 Ultra Frame.
    (B Size) pump
    Saltwater System
    Custom Deck

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Stain Problem

Try holding a trichlor tablet against a stained area for about one minute and see if that does anything.

Do you use anything that might be adding copper to the pool?
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    Try holding a trichlor tablet against a stained area for about one minute and see if that does anything.

I forgot to mention that, but I did try trichlor tablets and they worked, but it came back over the next week or two.

I don't use copper, but the guy that opened the pool dumped a bottle of copper algaecide in when he opened it.
    Intex 16x48 Ultra Frame.
    (B Size) pump
    Saltwater System
    Custom Deck

4. Back To Top    #4

More pics. Used the real camera instead of the Ipod...
    A little bit of glare on the last one. The jagged stuff at the top and bottom are the outline of my pine trees, not part of the stain.
    [attachment=2:2u3t80dp]IMG_9317.jpg[/attachment:2u3t80dp]

[attachment=1:2u3t80dp]IMG_9318.jpg[/attachment:2u3t80dp]

[attachment=0:2u3t80dp]IMG_9319.jpg[/attachment:2u3t80dp]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Intex 16x48 Ultra Frame.
    (B Size) pump
    Saltwater System
    Custom Deck

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

I would suggest two steps.....

1. Perform the OCLT....Read how in Pool School and perform that test exactly as it's described.

If you fail that test, start the shock process by adding enough liquid chlorine to get to 200ppm and HOLD IT THERE until you can pass the OCLT.......that may take a few days of constantly adding chlorine.......don't dose it just once and think you are through. It's a common mistake.

2. Once you complete the OCLT and pass it, then keep your FC up around 6-10ppm ALL THE TIME until the stains disappear completely. Once they are gone, allow the FC to return back down to around 4-6ppm.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh

1. Perform the OCLT....Read how in Pool School and perform that test exactly as it's described.

If you fail that test, start the shock process by adding enough liquid chlorine to get to 200ppm and HOLD IT THERE until you can pass the OCLT.......that may take a few days of constantly adding chlorine.......don't dose it just once and think you are through. It's a common mistake.

2. Once you complete the OCLT and pass it, then keep your FC up around 6-10ppm ALL THE TIME until the stains disappear completely. Once they are gone, allow the FC to return back down to around 4-6ppm.
    OK, I'll try the test tonight. It's at 4 now.... we'll see.

I assume you mean 20 ppm, not 200. If I get forty 1.4 gallon jugs of bleach from Walmart, they might think I'm some kind of terrorist.
    Intex 16x48 Ultra Frame.
    (B Size) pump
    Saltwater System
    Custom Deck

7. Back To Top    #7

Surely Dave meant 20 ppm!

When you buy bleach for shocking, If you they don't look at you funny when you check out, you didn't buy enough!
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by lb34
    Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh

OK, I'll try the test tonight. It's at 4 now.... we'll see.

I assume you mean 20 ppm, not 200. If I get forty 1.4 gallon jugs of bleach from Walmart, they might think I'm some kind of terrorist.
    Chlorine was 3.5 this morning. So I guess I pass....
    Intex 16x48 Ultra Frame.
    (B Size) pump
    Saltwater System
    Custom Deck

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    Surely Dave meant 20 ppm!

When you buy bleach for shocking, If you they don't look at you funny when you check out, you didn't buy enough!
    First time I went to Walmart for pool chemicals, I bought 19 pounds of borax (all they had), 12 lbs of baking soda (all they had in large boxes), and six 1.4 gallon bottles of bleach (all they had of the cheapest bleach in large bottles). Thought I would get odd looks from the cashier, but nothing. They were too busy talking to another cashier. Probably annoyed I interrupted their conversation.
    Intex 16x48 Ultra Frame.
    (B Size) pump
    Saltwater System
    Custom Deck

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

200ppm
    Yikes!

Perhaps an adult beverage was involved.....I just can't remember.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

11. Back To Top    #11

When I first started buying a large quantity of bleach they looked at me funny, but now I can go in and buy 12 or 15 large jugs and they don't even look up. There used to be plenty sitting on the shelf whenever I went in there but now there are times I go that the shelves are empty. This BBB must be catching on.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion

Could it be from the copper algaecide the pool guy added when he opened it? It was a full bottle of this stuff:

http://www.glbpoolspa.com/TechDataIn...&ProductID=231

He didn't dilute it like they mention there, he just walked it around. The pool was a green mess at the time (about 6 weeks ago).
    Intex 16x48 Ultra Frame.
    (B Size) pump
    Saltwater System
    Custom Deck

13. Back To Top    #13

I bought a Jack's Magic Stain ID Test Kit. None of the tests cleared the stain up. So far the only thing that has worked is Tri-Chlor tablets that I left on for a few minutes. But the stain eventually came back. What do I do?
    Intex 16x48 Ultra Frame.
    (B Size) pump
    Saltwater System
    Custom Deck

14. Back To Top    #14

If the trichlor clears it, then I'd suspect it's organic. Maybe some variety of algae. Are these in corners that don't get much sun perchance?

Personally I'd shock at mustard level for a couple days and see what that does, even though you did pass the OCLT. But I'm hardly one of the more expert folks here.
    20k gallon IGP
    Plaster over gunite
    3/4 hp Hayward pump
    Purex Triton DE filter
    TF100 test kit w/ speedstir

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by Beamup
    If the trichlor clears it, then I'd suspect it's organic. Maybe some variety of algae. Are these in corners that don't get much sun perchance?

Personally I'd shock at mustard level for a couple days and see what that does, even though you did pass the OCLT. But I'm hardly one of the more expert folks here.
    No, my pool is pretty much a rectangle (with the corners cut off) and gets sun from ~8AM to ~6PM. The stains are mostly at the bottom edges, but in the deep parts of my pool the walls aren't straight down. They angle in, so those parts get a lot of sun.

I was thinking of doing that, but it's been great pool weather and my wife is a teacher, so I've been putting it off.
    Intex 16x48 Ultra Frame.
    (B Size) pump
    Saltwater System
    Custom Deck