Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Weekly chems

1. Back To Top    #1

Weekly chems

New owner, swg pool. Are there regular chemical additions such as algaecides or clarifiers that should be a regular part of maintenance? Say a few oz per week?

Numbers good but should I add something to prevent something...

29,500 unite, swg, spa, cartridge, Polaris 380

Also, any issue of salt loss over winter with a mesh cover?

Thanks
    29,500 gallon freeform gunite pool with 3M quartz plaster. Hayward/Goldline cartridge filter, SWG, gas heater, aqua logic PS/8 automation.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Weekly chems

Your best place to start is to begin reading Pool School again on the care of an swcg pool.

A good test kit is all you need to add regularly if you don't have one.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

With an swg I would have at least...

a good test kit
    chlorine for the occasional additions (I bump up chlorine sometimes after a high bather load)
    Muriatic acid -swg pools will occasionally creep up in ph
    salt... whatever is required for your swg

No algaecide or clarifiers ... If you manage your levels correctly you shouldn't ever need them.
    Indiana, ABG 24'x52" Galveston by Blue Cascade (Craigslist buy w/part of deck included), 13,500 gallons, Intex SWG, solar panels mix 2, TF-100 test kit.

Test kits compared
    Purchase test kits

4. Back To Top    #4

Algaecides and clarifiers are not "regular chemical" and are not needed.
    "Numbers good" does not tell us anything useful. What are the numbers?

Here is some additional information on Salt systems:
    pool-school/water_balance_saltwater_generator

The salt won't evaporate over the Winter, but draining and replacing with rain water or fresh water can lower the saltinity.
    The optimum level of salt for the Aquarite salt system is 3200 but will operate from 2800 to 3400. The LCD display on the Aqualogic should show the salt concentration.

PSG
    poolschoolgrad

20x40 free-form IG vinyl, 1hp Hayward superpump, Hayward pro grid DE filter, Raypak heatpump, Goldline Aquarite SWCG, Polaris 280 with booster, and tested using a Taylor K2006.

5. Back To Top    #5

My numbers fall into parameters of swg water specs. I am on that all week. I do add muriatic acid daily as ph is a constant fight to keep down, other than that and keeping cya up to specs I haven't needed to do much else.

Someone told me solid is the way to go vs a quality mesh due to the need to add salt each opening to to rainwater. Thanks for comments...
    29,500 gallon freeform gunite pool with 3M quartz plaster. Hayward/Goldline cartridge filter, SWG, gas heater, aqua logic PS/8 automation.

6. Back To Top    #6

if you could post a full set of numbers. I am sure someone will be able to help you out... All of the numbers play a part in a well balanced pool. its just very helpful to have a full set of numbers.
    good luck.
    live in eastern washington state
    18x36, Vinyl inground 24k
    Hayward 1 hp filter pump
    1 skimmer/2 returns
    24" sand filter, polaris 280 with booster pump.

7. Back To Top    #7

Fc. 5
    Ph. 7.6
    Ta. 60
    Cya. 70
    Ch. 240
    Salt. 3200

8. Back To Top    #8

Doesn't look like you need to add anything to that pool but people!

I'd probably keep a bag of salt and a jug or two of bleach on hand. You won't need anything weekly but you want to have a little salt and bleach on hand to handle any issues that arise.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks. I keep clorox, baking soda, and muriatic acid on hand. I need to keep the ph down as it creeps up daily.