Cost of plumbing repair?

Undertow

Jun 1, 2011
Houston, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Hello everyone,

I've been fighting a suction leak that our pool inspector managed to miss since we got our house about a month ago. After trying to troubleshoot it myself and having a service guy out to troubleshoot and replace the above ground plumbing, the problem persists. I've got a leak detection company coming out next Thursday to take the troubleshooting to the next level and am hopeful that we can find a resolution. The skimmer is old, possibly 20+ years and the plumbing likely of the same age. I'm just curious about ballpark costs for repairing or replacing in-ground plumbing. Has anyone been through this?

Thanks!
Jake

If you drain the pool, you'll be able to get a plumber to use a snake cam to inspect the pipes. Alternatively, if you can see where the leak is (i.e. moist ground with water oozing up), then a mattock, shovel, and some perserverance will do the trick. I had a plumber come out the other day to send a camera down my sewer lateral after I couldn't unclog it with a snake. I needed a sewer jetter to clear the blockage (usjetting.com). Then the plumber sent his camera down the lateral to find the root system growing in the pipe. Cost of jetting $400. Cost of plumber $200. BTW the plumber is my wife's cousin.
Hopefully the leak detector does it job so you can find the location of the leak. Cost of the plumbing will depend on it's location, but it's not rocket science, you could do it yourself if you're so inclined.
I wouldn't be too harsh on the inspector, it's pretty hard to know there's a leak unless it's really obvious.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.