DE filter set to 'Filter' runs a bit, the begins to backwash

Jul 1, 2011
I've got a 16500 gallon in ground pool that I've been having issues with lately. The latest issue is that my pool will begin flushing water down the backwash even though it is set to Filter. I took the Vari-Flo valve in for service and they replaced the spring and an O-ring, the spider gasket was fine. Came home, put it back together and fired it up. All seemed to working well, moved on to other chores. About 15 minutes later I heard gurgling from the pool. The noise was caused from the now low water level in the pool pouring into the skimmers. I checked the pump and sure enough water was running through the backwash lines. I shut off the filter, tried changing it to backwash and running it, to rinse, then back to filter. Same thing.... I'm wondering if it's possible that there is an obstruction in the filter line and when the pressure becomes to great it forces the water into the backwashing lines? Any advise/suggestions are appreciated! Thanks,

-riley

Re: DE filter set to 'Filter' runs a bit, the begins to back

There is still something wrong with your main valve. Normally those symptoms indicate a problem with the spider gasket, but there are actually several parts that could be broken to cause those symptoms. If the main valve was working correctly any pressure the pump could possibly produce would be fine and no water would come out the backwash even if the filter was 100% blocked.

JasonLion said:
There is still something wrong with your main valve. Normally those symptoms indicate a problem with the spider gasket, but there are actually several parts that could be broken to cause those symptoms. If the main valve was working correctly any pressure the pump could possibly produce would be fine and no water would come out the backwash even if the filter was 100% blocked.

Thanks for the quick reply! So then it's not something in the feed line back to the pool forcing a back up?

I'll try replacing, or re-placing, the gasket back into the Vari-Flo and run it again. If it still doesn't work then I may need to call out a repair service to take a look at it. Do you know of any online repair manuals or something I could look at that may enlighten me as to what else I should be looking for?

Thanks

Jason,

I took the Vari-Flo apart, replaced the spider gasket and put it back together and it's working! Thanks for your suggestions!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.