Hello all! Converting from baqua@$%! to chlorine!

Jun 27, 2011
WV
Hello everyone,
I'm Ally, a new member...obviously and have learned so much already after spending some time in "pool school". I've been reading posts from other members who have gone through the conversion process and we just started our conversion tonight. As seems to be the "typical" story, we bought a house w/ a pool a few months ago. The previous owners used Baquacil and had no problems. However, the cover on the pool was awful, only bungee corded down rather than sealed, and a whole winter and spring's worth of **** got into the pool. How I wished we would have drained and started over, but the people at the pool place (who, btw, had serviced this particular pool for years but mysteriously LOST all of the records) said it would be fine...just use the baquacil chemicals and you'll be fine. $400 and 5 weeks later, we still can't get in the pool b/c of the green algae. So, we've let all the levels fall to 0, balanced ph, and started adding bleach tonight. I'm sure it will be a long process, but hopefully in a week or so my kids and I will be able to swim!!! WOW. Any advice is appreciated. I'll post updates and readings once they become available.

~Ally
(not sure if I saved my stats in my siggy... in West by God Virginia, 10,000 above ground pool, hayward sand filter. Ph reading at 7.2 and bleaching away!!!)

Thanks! You're pool calc is awesome and so handy. Can't wait to get converted so I can use more of the features.

I'm not getting the rust/orange stuff I'm reading about. Ours is more of a cloudy green w/ mustard colored floaters. The floaters group together but when I try to net them out, they just dissolve. Trying to brush and keep things stirred up. The bleachy-burnt algae smell is disgusting. Anyone else had this (smell and floaters?)

~Ally

:wave:

Hello! Hang in there w/your conversion. Sounds like you've done your research by looking through other forum posts.

Get yourself a test kit if you haven't already and keep your chlorine going ... the harder you work at it.. the faster it will clear up. Let your FC fall too far and you will have to back peddle and kill fight more algae.

We love pics to follow your progress... you'll get more responses and help too probably that way too :wink: