Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: drain or clean

1. Back To Top    #1

drain or clean

For a AGP with an algae problem from day 2 (put water in before we got salt water system set up!),
    is it easier to drain the water and start over or try to kill the algae? Thanks.
    intex above ground ultra-frame pool 8,000 gallons, sand filter, salt water generator, new 2011

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Re: drain or clean

Welcome to the forum It is easier to kill the algae but it will require you to read How to "Shock your Pool" up in Pool School.

Shock the pool exactly as that process says and your pool will clear up.

If you just drain and refill, the same thing will happen again.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I didn't believe it, but it did turn green to white this weekend. (Once I finally read the pool calculator correctly --didn't realize shock meant I had to input a goal of 15)
    Dropped back to FC near zero though, so not sure I have it there yet.
    intex above ground ultra-frame pool 8,000 gallons, sand filter, salt water generator, new 2011

4. Back To Top    #4

Flower Mound, TX

You are finished shocking when your FC holds to within 1 ppm or less of loss overnight, your CC is < 0.5, and your water is clear.
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

5. Back To Top    #5

Do you have any stabilizer in the pool?
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

6. Back To Top    #6

You can do it!!
    Indiana, ABG 24'x52" Galveston by Blue Cascade (Craigslist $600 w/part of deck included), 13,500 gallons, Intex SWG, solar panel

My backyard is like a park... Why then does DH always want to go camping??? I just don't understand.