Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26

Thread: General Cost of the BBB Method

  1. Back To Top    #1
    carterj92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Columbus, GA
    Posts
    90

    General Cost of the BBB Method

    I have been thinking about switching to the BBB method but I am concerned about the cost. Currently, I just use Xtra Blue Shock ($4.99) once every two weeks and a chlorine puck in a floating chlorinator(sp?) and change it every two weeks ($2.99) and that keeps my pool crystal clear. So on average, I spend around $16 per month on supplies. I need to know how expensive is a testing kit and how many uses I would get out of it. Also how much baking soda, bleach, or borax would I need for a month and the estimated cost. My pool holds 5,061 gallons of water and is an 16' X 48" Intex Metal Frame Pool with a 14" Intex Sand Filter. thanks.
    5,061 Gallon 16' x 48" Intex Metal Frame Pool
    14" Intex 55Ib Sand Filter and Pump.
    _______________________________________
    Location: Columbus, GA Where the Heat and the humidity are* :)

  2. Back To Top    #2
    JasonLion's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Silver Spring, MD
    Posts
    37,879

    Re: General Cost of the BBB Method

    The best test kits run around $70 and usually last a couple of years. You have done well, so day to day costs for BBB will be very similar. The big advantage of the better test kit is preventing things from going wrong. You haven't mentioned having any problems yet, but the approach you are using doesn't always work and when it has problems the differences will be much larger.

    Most of the time you won't need to add anything except bleach, somewhere around 2 1/2 cups a day.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

  3. Back To Top    #3
    carterj92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Columbus, GA
    Posts
    90

    Re: General Cost of the BBB Method

    Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    The best test kits run around $70 and usually last a couple of years. You have done well, so day to day costs for BBB will be very similar. The big advantage of the better test kit is preventing things from going wrong. You haven't mentioned having any problems yet, but the approach you are using doesn't always work and when it has problems the differences will be much larger.

    Most of the time you won't need to add anything except bleach, somewhere around 2 1/2 cups a day.
    Thanks! I going to give it some thought but I'm trying to justify changing but I've been using the same method for 4 seasons now and have never had any problems except for a few broken Intex pumps but those are an easy fix.
    5,061 Gallon 16' x 48" Intex Metal Frame Pool
    14" Intex 55Ib Sand Filter and Pump.
    _______________________________________
    Location: Columbus, GA Where the Heat and the humidity are* :)

  4. Back To Top    #4
    Mod Squad woodyp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    East Texas
    Posts
    9,004

    Re: General Cost of the BBB Method

    If it works for you then.............it works for you! Just watch your CYA level.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

  5. Back To Top    #5

    Re: General Cost of the BBB Method

    Be aware that the Xtra Blue Shock contains copper and cyanuric acid. Over time, both of those chemicals can build up to problem levels. For the BBB method, you won't need much baking soda or Borax. You should only need minor amounts of bleach or liquid chlorine. You should be able to match or beat your current cost.

  6. Back To Top    #6
    carterj92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Columbus, GA
    Posts
    90

    Re: General Cost of the BBB Method

    Quote Originally Posted by JamesW
    Be aware that the Xtra Blue Shock contains copper and cyanuric acid. Over time, both of those chemicals can build up to problem levels. For the BBB method, you won't need much baking soda or Borax. You should only need minor amounts of bleach or liquid chlorine. You should be able to match or beat your current cost.
    I've been doing the same thing for 4 years and haven't had any problems. What problems do you speak of?
    5,061 Gallon 16' x 48" Intex Metal Frame Pool
    14" Intex 55Ib Sand Filter and Pump.
    _______________________________________
    Location: Columbus, GA Where the Heat and the humidity are* :)

  7. Back To Top    #7

    Re: General Cost of the BBB Method

    How is fresh water added to that pool? Do you get snow that dilutes what is in the pool, or do you empty and refill it in the spring?
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

    Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

  8. Back To Top    #8

    Re: General Cost of the BBB Method

    Quote Originally Posted by carterj92
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesW
    Be aware that the Xtra Blue Shock contains copper and cyanuric acid. Over time, both of those chemicals can build up to problem levels. For the BBB method, you won't need much baking soda or Borax. You should only need minor amounts of bleach or liquid chlorine. You should be able to match or beat your current cost.
    I've been doing the same thing for 4 years and haven't had any problems. What problems do you speak of?
    Copper gets into people's hair and causes it to contain some green. It might not be noticeable for a while, especially if swimmers have dark hair. However, it is unpredictable when it will cause a noticeable reaction. Light colored hair, such as blonde, will show the green much better.

    Cyanuric acid slows down the reaction of chlorine and if the FC levels are not kept at 7.5 % of the cyanuric acid level, you will be at risk for developing algae.

  9. Back To Top    #9
    carterj92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Columbus, GA
    Posts
    90

    Re: General Cost of the BBB Method

    Quote Originally Posted by anonapersona
    How is fresh water added to that pool? Do you get snow that dilutes what is in the pool, or do you empty and refill it in the spring?
    I fill the pool up every spring with purified city water. My city, Columbus, has one of the most advanced water treatment facilities in the US. just as a side note lol. Oh and it doesn't snow in GA very often.
    5,061 Gallon 16' x 48" Intex Metal Frame Pool
    14" Intex 55Ib Sand Filter and Pump.
    _______________________________________
    Location: Columbus, GA Where the Heat and the humidity are* :)

  10. Back To Top    #10
    carterj92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Columbus, GA
    Posts
    90

    Re: General Cost of the BBB Method

    Quote Originally Posted by JamesW
    Quote Originally Posted by carterj92
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesW
    Be aware that the Xtra Blue Shock contains copper and cyanuric acid. Over time, both of those chemicals can build up to problem levels. For the BBB method, you won't need much baking soda or Borax. You should only need minor amounts of bleach or liquid chlorine. You should be able to match or beat your current cost.
    I've been doing the same thing for 4 years and haven't had any problems. What problems do you speak of?
    Copper gets into people's hair and causes it to contain some green. It might not be noticeable for a while, especially if swimmers have dark hair. However, it is unpredictable when it will cause a noticeable reaction. Light colored hair, such as blonde, will show the green much better.

    Cyanuric acid slows down the reaction of chlorine and if the FC levels are not kept at 7.5 % of the cyanuric acid level, you will be at risk for developing algae.
    Didn't think about that lol but my wife is a blondie and hasn't had any issues. Bet she would be upset to come out with green hair though
    5,061 Gallon 16' x 48" Intex Metal Frame Pool
    14" Intex 55Ib Sand Filter and Pump.
    _______________________________________
    Location: Columbus, GA Where the Heat and the humidity are* :)

  11. Back To Top    #11

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Lynchburg VA
    Posts
    393

    Re: General Cost of the BBB Method

    I think because you refill your pool every season with new water you wont have the problems some of us have had with the build up of chemicals and CYA.
    18x36 Vinyl In-ground w/roman ends 27,400G, Hayward 3/4hp with 300# sand filter. Hayward heat pump heater

    Pool School
    Pool Calculator
    Test Kits

  12. Back To Top    #12
    thepiratemorgan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Central NY
    Posts
    185

    Re: General Cost of the BBB Method

    For the reasonable cost ($70) of a good test kit, spread over two seasons (if you swim year round, cost is even cheaper), and some $0.99 Aldi's bleach, and maybe some Borax from time to time, I can assure you that you'll come in under that $16 / month budget AND have less issues with your pool. I too had no issues using almost same method you were (except for type of shock), until one day we went swimming and we had pink "floaties" (algae) all over the place!! What a letdown! I decided to "school" myself on taking care of my pool the right way and then I found TFP and the BBB Method and have never looked back. Now, taking care of the pool is easier and not a puck floater in sight!
    14,600g / 24ft. Round Above Ground with Solar Cover
    18" Hayward Pro Sand Filter
    1 HP Hayward Powerflo Matrix Pump running 10am - 8pm
    Full Sun (when we get sun ... LOL): Approx. 10am to 7pm
    Using the Trouble Free Method, and loving it!! Arrrrrrrr!!!!

  13. Back To Top    #13

    Re: General Cost of the BBB Method

    Quote Originally Posted by carterj92
    I fill the pool up every spring with purified city water. My city, Columbus, has one of the most advanced water treatment facilities in the US. just as a side note lol. Oh and it doesn't snow in GA very often.
    If you dump and refill each spring, you may find that your parameters do not get out of whack by the end of the season. It takes time to build up to problematic levels if you start with fresh water and then add CYA and copper containing products slowly. Were you to start by bringing CYA up to target levels right away with Stabilizer, then using the trichlor puck, you might find that CYA levels were out of range before the season was done. That would depend on how much water was lost to splash out along the way. Refill after splash out dilutes CYA but refill after evaporation does not.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

    Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

  14. Back To Top    #14

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Elkridge, MD
    Posts
    104

    Re: General Cost of the BBB Method

    Quote Originally Posted by thepiratemorgan
    some $0.99 Aldi's bleach
    Is that "TUNDRA"?

    Does it work as well as Clorox?

    I love Aldi's and I'm all about saving money, but I've always used Clorox because it seems like it's what people here recommend.
    32 x 16 20,000 gallon inground vinyl. Pool Genie filter. BBB seems to be working well so far despite high CYA. Aquabot Turbo T which I adore.

  15. Back To Top    #15

    Re: General Cost of the BBB Method

    I disagree on the cost savings aspect. I am currently using a gallon a day in my pool, and while it is keeping things crystal clear and my test numbers look good, it is coming in at around $7-10 a week in bleach. I am wondering if I shouldn't raise my CYA to reduce the amount of bleach I am using. I do live in a hot climate (past 7 days have been over 100) and the pool sits in the sun all day until evening.
    Doughboy 18x38 AGP buried 2' deep. 18,400 gal. Hayward Power Flo Matrix. Hayward Pro Series High Rate Sand Filter. TF-100 test kit.

  16. Back To Top    #16
    Richard320's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)
    Posts
    18,768

    Re: General Cost of the BBB Method

    Quote Originally Posted by ROTJob
    I disagree on the cost savings aspect. I am currently using a gallon a day in my pool, and while it is keeping things crystal clear and my test numbers look good, it is coming in at around $7-10 a week in bleach. I am wondering if I shouldn't raise my CYA to reduce the amount of bleach I am using. I do live in a hot climate (past 7 days have been over 100) and the pool sits in the sun all day until evening.
    Jacking CYA from 60 to 100 won't reduce the chlorine loss by much. Last summer I was up to 150+ on CYA, and I still lost 2 ppm FC/day. All it will do for sure is make your minimum FC level much higher, out of range for the color-matching test block, so it will be FAS-DPD every day. And should you get lazy and miss a day or two and get an algae outbreak, you'll be buying bleach by the barrel, not the jug, to shock.

    I'd stay at 60ish, which is I think the last number you posted. 70 wouldn't be outrageous, but I'd keep that 10 ppm to spare, in case I wanted to leave town some weekend and use a floater with pucks.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

  17. Back To Top    #17
    Mod Squad Bama Rambler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    SouthWest Alabama
    Posts
    22,347

    Re: General Cost of the BBB Method

    I just did all the tests yesterday and filled the drum with bleach and entered it into the spreadsheet and I'm at about $17.00 a month average this year, not counting electric costs.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

  18. Back To Top    #18

    Re: General Cost of the BBB Method

    Jacking CYA from 60 to 100 won't reduce the chlorine loss by much. Last summer I was up to 150+ on CYA, and I still lost 2 ppm FC/day. All it will do for sure is make your minimum FC level much higher, out of range for the color-matching test block, so it will be FAS-DPD every day. And should you get lazy and miss a day or two and get an algae outbreak, you'll be buying bleach by the barrel, not the jug, to shock.

    I'd stay at 60ish, which is I think the last number you posted. 70 wouldn't be outrageous, but I'd keep that 10 ppm to spare, in case I wanted to leave town some weekend and use a floater with pucks.


    OK point taken. Does it sound out of line for me to be using a gallon a day though? That is quite a bit higher than I was expecting to use, and really isn't nearly as cheap as I had expected. I am being use to use 6% bleach too, although it is usually walmarts great value brand.
    Doughboy 18x38 AGP buried 2' deep. 18,400 gal. Hayward Power Flo Matrix. Hayward Pro Series High Rate Sand Filter. TF-100 test kit.

  19. Back To Top    #19
    JasonLion's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Silver Spring, MD
    Posts
    37,879

    Re: General Cost of the BBB Method

    With 18,400 gallons, I would expect a pool to use 1.5 to 2.5 quarts of 6% bleach a day. A gallon a day means something is wrong, either algae, or inappropriate CYA level, or both.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

  20. Back To Top    #20
    aa62579's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    North Central Texas
    Posts
    409

    Re: General Cost of the BBB Method

    Quote Originally Posted by carterj92
    I have been thinking about switching to the BBB method but I am concerned about the cost. Currently, I just use Xtra Blue Shock ($4.99) once every two weeks and a chlorine puck in a floating chlorinator(sp?) and change it every two weeks ($2.99) and that keeps my pool crystal clear. So on average, I spend around $16 per month on supplies. I need to know how expensive is a testing kit and how many uses I would get out of it. Also how much baking soda, bleach, or borax would I need for a month and the estimated cost. My pool holds 5,061 gallons of water and is an 16' X 48" Intex Metal Frame Pool with a 14" Intex Sand Filter. thanks.
    My pool is just a bit larger than yours. I estimate I have 5400 gallons in it. I went with the Taylor K-2006 and it was around $60 with shipping.
    I average 2 cups of bleach per day. Occasionally 20 ounces. Great Value bleach at my walmart is 1.3 cents per ounce. For a nice even number, I round up to 25 cents per day in chlorine. This comes out to be about $7.50 per month in bleach. You are only addressing the chlorine component, so that is the number to compare.

    I do not use any baking soda or borax. I do have a high TA, and my pH rises pretty fast, so I am using some muriatic acid to control that. Are you testing your pH? How is it? If it is at a good number and staying constant, you probably will have no need for MA.
    ~~ Allison ~~
    Intex 18' x 48" Easy Set Pool, approximately 5455 gallons
    Krystal Clear 1500 GPH Filter Pump Model 56635EG - 635 with Auto Timer
    BBB FOR BEGINNERS ~ THIS IS A MUST READ FOR ANYONE OVERWHELMED!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •