Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: NEW POOL OWNER... HELP!

1. Back To Top    #1

NEW POOL OWNER... HELP!

Hi , Im happy to have help from people that know what they are doing!! This is my first time with a pool and my boss has recd this site. We just received the water in our above ground pool, its about 7 years old and we got it from a friend.We purchased a new liner and coving. Interested in doing the chlorox instead of pool store stuff. We have a sand filter and going to try and start it tonite. We realized yesterday the hose had a tear in it . So should we use shock from the pool place to start? We got a deluxe kit that was recd. Our pool holds 12,000 gallons. any advise would be great. THANKS
    17 ,000 gal AG vinyl; Hayward 1.5 HP; Hayward sand filter; Hayward auto chl tab feeder (unused, except when nec.); Hayward Pool Heater + solar cover.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: NEW POOL OWNER... HELP!

Is the fill water chlorinated?
    If so, you just need to add a little bleach each evening until you can read Pool School and get it started up.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

no ,the water is not chlorinated.
    17 ,000 gal AG vinyl; Hayward 1.5 HP; Hayward sand filter; Hayward auto chl tab feeder (unused, except when nec.); Hayward Pool Heater + solar cover.

4. Back To Top    #4

Can you post test results?
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

well i will try later, im on my way to my sons baseball game

6. Back To Top    #6

got my filter going now for the first time last night and we added super shock. these are my readings as of this afternoon.

ph-7.3
    ta-90
    ch-190
    my levels for fc/br were not colored at all on the test , so im guessing we have some clorinaing to do??

any help would be great. should we shock for the first 4 nites?- unsure of that too

7. Back To Top    #7

What are the listed ingrediants for "Super Shock"?
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

8. Back To Top    #8

the active ingredient is calcium hypochlorite-52%. it doesnt list the other ingre. i added the whole 16 oz bag as it said for a 12,000 gallon pool last evening

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by cschadel
    the active ingredient is calcium hypochlorite-52%. it doesnt list the other ingre. i added the whole 16 oz bag as it said for a 12,000 gallon pool last evening
    Okay, that is cal-hypo and will add calcium to your pool. Not needed or wanted too much. So, best for you to use liquid chlorine/bleach.

You also need to add some CYA (cyanuric acid) aka stabilizer or conditioner. Add enough to get to about 30. You can buy bleach and CYA at WallyWorld or the big box stores.

Since you need both chlorine and CYA at the moment, you could add enough dichlor daily to reach a CYA goal of 30 and then switch to chlorine.

Your pH, TA & CH all look fine. What test kit are you using?

Use the PoolCalculator.com to figure doses.

Test pH and FC every day until you get a good idea of what your pool likes
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!