Aqua Broom - dirt on the bottom of the pool

JulieLeo

LifeTime Supporter
May 13, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Does anyone else have an Aqua Broom to clean dirt fromthe bottom of the pool/spa? I bought one and it "LOOKED" like it was picking up the dirt, only to find it all back on the bottom of the pool the next morning. I have the Ultra model with the extended pole to reach into the middle of the pool and it also came with 2 sand/silt micro filters.

I'm not sure what I could be doing wrong. There is 'some' dirt in the filter because it has the red clay dirt look, but then there is no accumulation in the filter bag.

Any ideas what I can do to get the dang dirt out of my pool!!!???

Thanks for the suggestions....especially if they work!!

Julie

I've been using one since last year, loved it... till recently when for some reason it stopped working very well unless I turn it upside down. But I can't vacuum upside down...

It still works though. Sucks ok in a down position although the speed of the motor gets faster when I invert it upside down. I can't tell if it's a battery issue with spring compression or if it's inside the motor itself.

It sucks better when I fold the flap over and tuck it behind the port edge. It picks up fairly large leaves this way much better. I also get plenty of dirt and gunk in the filter each time I use it so I know it's working but I too have dirt settling back on the bottom soon after vacuuming.

Do you put the micro filter sock inside the regular filter or outside? It doesn't work as well with it outside next to the sucker wheel thingie (not an impeller or propeller, I wouldn't know what to call it but it spins and does the sucking). The micro filter should be the first filter the gunk runs into. I think the length of the sock makes it suck up against that propeller thing cuz I can see a clean circle where it sits against it.

Hi Frogabog -- Thanks for the feedback. I hadn't thought about the microfilter bag going on the inside of the regular filter but it sure makes more sense. I will give it a try tonight. I was so frustrated thinking I've found a miracle tool, then when I saw all the dirt settled back in the bottom...we have a white bottom...it really hacked me off! I will give it another try. Also, I've got sand around the outside of the pool now, but it's white sand. Really a messy situation and I'd rather have something less messy. Do you think mulch would be ok to put up against the outside of the pool. We have a Summer Escapes. We've built an 8'x12' deck that comes about a foot from the front of the pool so to get in the pool you have to enter from the deck rather than the grass or pavers that the ladder sits on top of. Here's a pic of the pool just after we set it up. Nothing fancy for sure but, hey, it's wet when its 95 degrees outside and 85% humidity!!

Attachments

• pool.JPG
    pool.JPG
    298.5 KB · Views: 238
If I was going to do a mulch kind of thing around the pool, I'd look into that rubber stuff. I did sod up to the pool last year, the mud daubers were driving me crazy. Too bad the sod died on one side. So we went with some round pavers this year instead.

Out of curiosity, is your pool really as crooked as it seems in that image? Does it splash much out the low side or wobble when the kids play? Obviously it works fine if you've had it up this long! lol

I'll go take a pic of how I secure the flap in the aqua broom, gimme a few.... I'm also now using two of the micro filters cuz of the returning dirt making me crazy, however the second sock is hardly dirty, it's all in the first sock.

To reduce debris into the pool, we have a little kiddie pool set up with the feet of the ladder in it. We did a small tub of water up till last year when H decided he'd make the rinse water impossible to not step in by adding the pool. I chlorinate it with the floater and trichlor lol.

I took pics a couple weeks ago of our setup, you can see them here full-time-pumping-intex-t33543.html

We have since moved the ladder to the dead grass side and doubled up on pavers underneath it. Today is the first day I've seen sun in over a week, I'm not sure it's real... but it's all bright yellow up there, matches the NASA pictures I compared it to, so I think it's the sun. It does makes the pool water all shiny and glinty!

I tried to create pool drama this week while the kids were at camp... I didn't vacuum till last night. Even with the vac running at half or less speed it sucked up all the debris just fine. I then brushed as much of the walls and floor that I could reach, it flung some particles around but it's all clear today. Dang... can't even get myself any good pool drama. Maybe swimmers will help?

Hey Frogabog -- you're my new bestest friend!!!! Your suggestion to put the sand/silt microfilter on the inside of the built-in filter worked like a charm! We had 94 degree weather today and after going to a sunflower festival we came home and headed straight for the pool. Took me two times around the pool to suck up all the dang dirt that I could get, then we went swimming. It's 10:45pm now and I just went outside and turned on the pool light and only had about a teaspoon of sand in the filter sock!!!! I'm sooooooo happy!!!!

As far as the level of the pool, it only looks like it's unlevel. I took that picture downhill from the pool. It's only about a half inch lower on one side than the other. When the little girls play they don't hardly ever splash enough to splash water out of the pool. Sometimes after a rain I actually end up having to drain some out. We keep the level between the middle of the skimmer gauge and the bottom end so the 3 yr old doesn't have to tip toe all the time.

My DH built a very nice 8'x12' deck that is about a 18" from the pool so we can put the ladder next to the deck then the only way to get into the pool is from the deck. We also have a small tub of water to rinse off our feet before getting into the pool. After I figure out what to do about the sand around the pool I think we will have a lot less issues with the dirt and sand in the pool.

Our pump is the dinky one we got with the pool. It runs about 12 hours a day...from the time I get home until I leave for work...don't like to run it during the hottest part of the day.

Thanks again for your great suggestion. I will take some more pics and put them on this thread soon so you can see our setup.

Have a great July 4th!!!!

Don't forget to walk in a circle in the water, along the wall, before you get out. Creates a whirlpool that makes all the gunk accumulate in the middle of the pool so you can aquabroom it out quickly (actually, slowly sneak up on it, but it is easy when all in one place in the pool).

As for the microfilter, I don't think my three year old aquabroom came with that. But I created my own by putting a knee-high over the mouth, then covering with the regular filter. Worked great to get out the last of the pollen and other small grit that must have gone right thru the regular filter.

Frogabog - We took your suggestion again and walked in a circle in the water along the wall. Sure enough the dirt stays in the center of the pool for easy Aqua-Brooming. Pool looks so clean all the time now. I'm so proud of it! Thanks for the suggestion.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.