Algae every few days

Jun 24, 2011
Montgomery, AL
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Okay, I have had an issue with algae for about a month now. I balanced my pool and added 8 pounds of CYA last week (it was showing 0). Now this week my CYA still registers 0, FC is 0 and TC is 0 and my other levels are fine (PH 7.2, ALK 80). My water is crystal clear but, I have brownish sandy gunk in the bottom and along the walls.

I am assuming this is the algae still living because after I brush it comes back maybe three or four days later in almost the same spots on the wall. I read another post thinking it may be dirt, but it returns in the same places. I already used Leslie's Algae Control to treat about 3 or 4 weeks ago and I put about 12 oz of Leslie's Algae Control every Sunday for prevention, but something is not right. Though the pool looks well, this chemical level and algae/dirt business is really irksome. Any help is appreciated.

You need to properly clean and shock the pool, and also add some more CYA. I wouldn't bother with the algaecide, that isn't helping much.

Start by vacuuming up all of the gunk you can and shocking to an FC level of 10 in the evening, at the same time start adding another 8 lbs of CYA. Then continue to follow the shocking instructions from Pool School.

Where are you getting your testing numbers from?
If it's a pool store they may not be totally accurate.

As most people here will recommend, you're better off to get your own test kit.

If CYA is truly at zero, you should be pretty close to 30 for adding 8lbs of stabilizer.
Also if your pool is in the sun most of the day, you will probably need more than 30 for stabilizer (CYA) since the sun will eat your chlorine super fast.

You shouldn't need to use the algae control. Bleach and or Chlorine (same thing) and some elbow grease is all you really need.

In the pool school section read how to fight algae. But again it's best to have your own test kit, so you know exactly where your numbers are at, and you are able to test them daily.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.