Intex Easy Set Plumbing & Filter Upgrade...is it possible?

Re: Intex Easy Set Plumbing & Filter Upgrade...is it possibl

crokett said:
The valves I got have a female thread. I threaded in male adapters where the other end is the same size as 1 1/4" PVC pipe. I attached the hoses to that.
So the OD is the same as 1-1/4" PVC which is way too large for my hoses. I'll hae to see if I could get that 1" to work for me.
I assume something as simple as this aqua ez adapter wouldn't work...

Attachments

• aqua ez.jpg
    aqua ez.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 307

George_,

Go here and look at this post for what some of us have done.
http://www.troublefreepool.com/custom-pvc-pipe-adapter-for-intex-pools-t28971-20.html
See my posts to see what I did.
I have the 15X48 metal frame pool and I just cut out the stock fittings and use the Hayward 1 1/2" fittings.
It was no problem to do as the Intex pool does have a double layer where the fittings are.
I only cut the hole out like another 1/4" bigger each way (1/2 " total) so I'm way inside of the doubler liner.
I did all of this to have a kick A system that was easy to use and not messing around with washing and replacing cartridge filter all the time!
I bought the used Waterway system used on craigslist for $100 rebuilt with all new o-rings, skimmer basket and lid, cleaned and added new sand from Home Depot.
Ended up spending about $125 fixing it all up with getting the Hayward stuff to connect to the pool.

P.S. I did have to run a hard wired 115V GFI box out to the pump as the motor is a 1 hp that draws about 9-10 amps so I didn't want to use an extension cord and worry if I needed to run the pump 24/7.

Chuck

supertune-
Is there a way I could do what you did, but connect to the Intex 637R pump until I replace it? If I don't find something on craigslist I may go with the Hayward VL. I know it's only a 13" filter, but at ~$200 with the pump it fits the budget and my current pool is only ~2800 gal.

George_
Yes, I think you can.
If you used the Hayward through fitting, (standard 1 1/2 threads) you need to know if you can use those Intex shutoff valves with an adapter from the Hayward fitting to the valve.
If you were to just connect a hose to it, use this Hayward part #. SPX1091Z7 Price: $1.66 it has both 1 1/2 and 1 1/4 sizes on it.
http://www.poolpartsonline.com/p-18694-hayward-15inx-125in-hose-adapter-spx1091z7.aspx

I have 2 of these Hayward 1 1/2 plugs with a o-ring part # SP1022c that will screw in the inside of the Hayward through fitting. I use these when I need to block off any water to work on pump or stop water like a shutoff valve would do.
http://store.poolcenter.com/15-threaded-plug-wo-ring---sp1022c-p167178.aspx
Chuck

The aqua ez that I posted above works great going to the Intex hoses and right into a 1-1/2" ball valve. So all that's left is connecting the pump side which I'll do with the same barb and some pieces of 1-1/4" flex PVC. I'll post a pic when I'm done.

I see the $199 Amazon price is for the 2009 model and the current model is $249. The differences I saw were 2100 vs. 2650 GPH and built in GFCI. Are there any others? The Hayward VL can be had for $180, but is only a 13" filter wtih 1800 GPH pump. Hmmmm.....decisions, decisions...

If I did just buy a new filter/pump now then I could return the valves and fittings I bought to put inline with my current pump and save $30!

George,

I ordered the $199.00 one 2 weeks ago it did list it as 2100gph but they sent the 2650 gph with the GFCI built in so i got it for $199.00 it comes with all the fittings and adapters but i ended up cutting the black part off the pool and cutting the holes larger for the new fittings it comes with ..they are larger far less restrictive .

fsteve65 said:
George,

I ordered the $199.00 one 2 weeks ago it did list it as 2100gph but they sent the 2650 gph with the GFCI built in so i got it for $199.00 it comes with all the fittings and adapters but i ended up cutting the black part off the pool and cutting the holes larger for the new fittings it comes with ..they are larger far less restrictive .
Oh man is that tempting....
I would love to get it for $199, but would spend a few extra to get the newer model for sure. Maybe I'll take my chances.

edit...I rolled the dice!
I figured even if I did get the 2100 gph model the largest pool I'd upgrade to would be around 8-9000 gallons and it would do fine.
Thanks for the tip, fsteve65 :cheers:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Just ordered the 2100 from Amazon as well. From my understanding they are the same. The 2100 is the normal operating gph rating and the 2650 is the max operating gph rating.

Greg78 said:
Just ordered the 2100 from Amazon as well. From my understanding they are the same. The 2100 is the normal operating gph rating and the 2650 is the max operating gph rating.
Actually, from what I understand is the 2100 is the older model which is limited to 2100gph, but the current model does 2650gph.

George_ said:
Greg78 said:
Actually, from what I understand is the 2100 is the older model which is limited to 2100gph, but the current model does 2650gph.
The 2100gph is the 2650gph model. The 2100 is the normal gph and the 2650 is the MAX gph. It is the same pump.

crookm11 said:
The 2100gph is the 2650gph model. The 2100 is the normal gph and the 2650 is the MAX gph. It is the same pump.
Oh, OK.
Do you know what the differences are then between the 2009 and 2011 models?
I see builtin GFCI and 24 hr. timer - what else???

George_ said:
crookm11 said:
Oh, OK.
Do you know what the differences are then between the 2009 and 2011 models?
I see builtin GFCI and 24 hr. timer - what else???

The 2100 has a GFCI and they both have a 12hr timer. They even have the same model #56671EG.

Here is the fitting at Home Depot.

c2760b97-30e6-4aaf-9d6a-eb8fc8f30d2d_300.jpg

Carlon 1-1/2 in. Non-Metallic Reducer Bushing
Model # E950HGR Store SKU # 732001

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Carlon-1-1-2 ... exvSI3VC8A

Received the adapters and they fit the intex hoses as well as the standard pump. Going to hook it all up this weekend and see how she does UPDATE: Hooked everything up and works great, no modifications needed. Just some teflon tape and GTG

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.