Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Intex SWG - guess it died

1. Back To Top    #1

NW MO

Intex SWG - guess it died

I have used the Intex SWG for 2 seasons. This year I keep getting a low salt reading so it won't produce chlorine. When testing my salt, it actually reads on the high side so I know that isn't the problem. I checked the wiring connections and all is good. I checked the plates and there is no debris and no deposits. I called Intex customer service and the girl that answered told me in her best broken English that it "must be broke".

So I ordered a new one - got a good deal but it is the new style with copper. I have unplugged the power to the copper and if we can find a cap, we will remove the copper completely. The book with the new unit says to keep CYA in the 30-50 range and in the old book it said the same thing, but I remember reading on here that it actually works better to keep the CYA higher with the SWG. Because of rain and refills, my CYA is around 40 and I don't want to raise it if I don't have to. What is best with these units?
    24ft AGP 52in deep ~13,500 gal
    Hayward Sand Filter 250 lbs
    1.5 HP pump

425 gal stand alone QCA Hot Tub 15-20 yrs old

2. Back To Top    #2
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: Intex SWG - guess it died

It's best to follow the guidelines for a swcg listed on here. I'd keep the CYA near 70. Especially since the newer units produce less chlorine than the older units did.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit